pressed flower problem

cornflakegrlApril 4, 2009

I tried pressing flowers for the first time, and it was a disaster. When I checked on the flowers a week later, they were rotting. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I pressed the flowers in blank newspring paper. I put a few layers of gift tissue papers between my newsprint layers. I used a couple of brick to provide the weight.

I've been reading about pressing flowers, and I thought I followed the instructions. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Connie Kru

If you are pressing without heat, you need to put your flowers between two layers of paper towel (viva is good, as it has no pattern) and then put that into an old telephone book and then weight it down good. Give it several weeks.
On the other hand I use my microwave.
I take a old hard bound book, use the two layer of viva and put my paper/flower/paper into the pages of the book and then microwave at low power for 2-3 min. Then let it cool under weight. You may need to let it dry a little more, but not the two weeks, maybe over night or several days
Good Luck

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 6:13PM
sylky00(z6 KY)

I wonder if your flowers were damp; that's the only thing I know that would cause them to rot. Pick the blooms after 10 am or later so the sun has dried the dew. Don't give up-flower drying and pressing involves a lot of trial-and-error, but the results are worth it.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 8:09AM
sonshine_tn(6TN)

I'm sure you've solved your problems by now, but for more info that you might find helpful ask for the free downloads on pressing and making cards at my website www.sonshinecrafts.com

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 4:22PM
garnetnm

Here's how I press flowers successfully. I use an old phone book. Begin about 100 pages from the back. Fold down a bit at the corner. Continue coming forward and fold down a corner every 50 or 100 pages. The corner folds will help you locate your pressed material.

Now you are ready to gather flowers in the morning without any moisture from the dew.

Pansies wwork well. Any blossoms that are thin and flat. Pull the petals from flowers with thick centers such as daiseys or carnations. Leaves can be pressed, too.

At the back of your book, arrange a single layer of blossoms or petals. Carefull cover with the next section and hold firmly as you arrange the next layer of floral material. Continue. Then place a flat weight of 10# or more on the book. It takes at least 2 weeks, so wait to check.

Don't know what it is about the paper or ink in the phone book, but I have used my books repeatedly and have never had the paper wrinkle or the ink come off on the floral material.

Hope this works for you.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Mystery dried plant
I am trying to find the name of the dried plant shown...
moonlightpeg
Can I Re-color Pressed Flower?
So I have this school project to make something using...
ElviraS
dyeing flowers
Does anyone have specific information on dyeing dried...
free_spirit
Looking for a home for dried flowers
Hello, My mom's passion for the last 30 years was making...
Matt7
lambs ear
Can the flower part of a lambs ear be dried and used...
cinjo
Sponsored Products
27-inch Tapered Floor Vase
Overstock.com
South Street Post Lamp
Lightology
Crystal Flowers 12" Wide Antique White Ceiling Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Fosters Point Glass With Magnolia Tree Rose Hydrangearangea
Beyond Stores
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Daly Ivory 8 ft. x
Home Depot