Rose Petals

FlowergirlDeb2(5)May 19, 2003

Hi! I'm a new poster here, but have been on gardenweb for 2 years. I love flowers and gardening, and I am into making garden crafts, I paint (mostly terra cotta pots) and NOW I would like to attempt to make potpourri!

Anyway, I have some rose petals from the dozen roses my wonderful step-father gave me for Mothers Day, and I haven't the slightest clue how to preserve them ot let them dry out and all. Any first step advice would be appreciated! Thank you all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handmayyd(z5 CO)

Deb -
1- hang your roses upside down to dry
2- do a search for potpourri
3- mix the dried petals with other dried petals and add some fragrance or essential oil
4- go to From Nature With Love for recipes and some other ingredients
5- keep a basket handy and add dried petals as you collect them
6- dry citrus peel to add to potpourri
7 - make tub teas with the petals
and on, and on and on - does any of this help? :>karenb

Bookmark   May 22, 2003 at 12:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower(7)

there are two ways to dry roses- as whole flowers (hang upside down, either in small bunches, or singly) or by spreading the petals thinly on a screen and leaving them in a dry, shady place...they're not very 'wet' petals, so they dry in a few days. marigolds and delphimiums also dry well this way.

Orris root is the 'traditional' powder added to 'hold' the fragrance oils, good herb shops/health food stores carry it. normally, one just adds essential oils to the mix, and fluffs them around.

you can also candy rose petals, and make a rose sugar syrup (Martha the Tyrant has a recipe, a good 'rennaisance' site should as well, I make mine by 'feel' cup of sugar, half cup of water, two cups of petals, simmer don't boil, strain into a jelly jar when the mix turns the color the petals used to be) that's not as good as the violet, but way easier to come by.

Bookmark   May 22, 2003 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for very old pressed flowers
I have found two pressed flowers from the Arctic, one...
Ulohtsa
dyeing flowers
Does anyone have specific information on dyeing dried...
free_spirit
pink or blue antifreeze as glycerine alternative?
I read about this and wonder if anyone can compare...
erasmus_gw
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
heartsong2
Dried Seed Pod ID
Hello! Does anyone recognize this dried pod? Many thanks!...
elenarain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™