are black eyed susan drought tolerant?

mwnelson3March 3, 2012

I have a VERY Steep slope on one of my rentals approx. 80'X80', totally unusable without breaking my back (and helpers). So I would just like to plant drought tolerant ground cover(s). Hopefully with some color and not to invasive (neighbors).

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
samnsarah

Yes, Black Eyed Susan is drought tolerant. But if you want a ground cover, I would recommend Tickseed. They are drought tolerant and love the sun.
Black Eyed Susans and Tickseed both require full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooner Plant Farm drought tolerant ground covering plants

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 5:55PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

I always thought black eyed susan (variety rudbeckia goldsturm) were drought tolerant, but they have not done well in dry conditions here the last three years. I think you would be much happier with the coreopsis. Early sunrise is a very good dry tolerant one that needs full sun and it's shorter and has a longer bloom time than the rudbeckia. Also they are grown from seed, so usually economically priced. Another good choice would be to do a sedum garden. They come in many varieties, different colors, heights, from creeping 2-3", up to 24" tall. That would be very interesting.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 3:42PM
bettycbowen(7)

it is 116 today here in OK and I don't know when it rained last. I was out looking to see what is still alive. I don't water much, just enough to keep it alive, not flourishing.

The rudibeckia that is still alive and blooming is Becky. All the purple coneflowers burned up a month ago.

Sedum, Walker's low catmint and several varieties of Lantana are my big drought tolerant winners.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 8:24PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Mexican oregano is very drought and heat tolerant. Salvia greggi"perfectly pink" i , Sedum palmerii lived through last years Texas drought and heatwave. I never watered and ny soil is very porous.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Need a drought resistant turf
I have a wedding meadow for my B&B in Black Forest...
BlackForestSusie
How do you cut your water use?
As many of us are looking towards a drought that is...
merj13
Adding Clothes Washer Water to Cistern
We have a cistern into which all the roof run-off empties,...
bloominmary
How do you get accurate rainfall measurements?
Please share where I can go online to find rainfall...
rosiew
thyme dying between stones
Hi all, I redid my front yard and put in all these...
bigangellover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™