Drying Ferns

Applegate(Atlanta, GA)June 22, 2004

Do the various drying methods used for flowers also apply to ferns? (I want to dry them, press them against handmade paper and then frame.)

Thanks to all for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Ferns dry easily layered singly in between several sheets of newspaper, then stack books on top. Be sure they are completely dry before framing...perhaps two weeks will be a safe period. Ferns hold their color fairly well if displayed in low light, but even if they fade eventually to a paler color, still look nice. I like to play around with the various stages of growth It's interesting to dry the croziers before they unfurl... and the Autumn Fern's rosy new growth is magical. Have fun! josh

Bookmark   June 24, 2004 at 2:58PM
Audrey_NY(z5 NY)

Applegate
I am interested in ferns also. Last year I made 4 pictures with ferns, kept them out of light but they turned yellow. Somewhere I read to use the acid free paper, inlude a small amount of silica granuales (like the ones that come in some prescriptions)behind the picture & glass and seal the back with alumunim (sp?) tape. So far so good. Will let you know what happens. Audrey

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 4:13PM
fairy_toadmother

mine all turned a horrible brown color, including those i used glycerin as a preservative with.

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Drying Hibiscus flowers
A friend gave us some hibiscus flower tea. The dried...
gardener49
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
Dried flowers
Hi. I'm a newb and recently bought this flower but...
dindin
Dried and pressed flowers
I recently bought a kit and started working with pressed...
georgeth
Using flowers to die your hair?
Has anyone ever tried dyeing their hair with henna?...
RochelleLY
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™