Connecting 2 - 55 gal Drums together?

vgkg(Z-7)April 28, 2003

Hi Folks, I've got plans to catch the rain water from my downspout and have obtained 2 55 gal drums for the "catcher". Does anyone have a double-drum set up? Was wondering if it's better to have one drum on top of the other or side-by-side. And if there's a good diagram to use to connect both together. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Thanks, vgkg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KriswithaK(z6 MO)

I have 3 that are side by side. I connect them with a pipe connector. It has NPT threading on the inside of the barrel along with a large brass nut to keep it from falling out & garden hose type threading on the other end. Then I use regular garden hose (cut to the size I want)to link them togather. When 1 fills up it overflows into the adjoining barrel.
How do you get the water to the barrels? I use a device called the Garden Water Saver or something like that. I love it! I have to put my barrels about 10 feet from the rain gutter & this lets me do it easily. Plus, unless you pointed it out to someone, they will never even notice it is on your house. Good for fussy neighbors!

Bookmark   April 29, 2003 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
How do you cut your water use?
As many of us are looking towards a drought that is...
merj13
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from Groundcover) Can anyone tell me...
rosemint
55 gallon barrels
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get/buy...
momofkandh
What's your Water Retention Trick!
Hi everyone, I have a home on a corner lot and it gets...
Jocque
How do you get accurate rainfall measurements?
Please share where I can go online to find rainfall...
rosiew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™