Best flowers for pressing?

solstice98(9b/Orlando)July 8, 2006

Hi all,

I regularly post on the Florida Gardening forum but am new to this one. I'm a novice at pressing and have learned so much by reading through earlier posts here this morning! Wow! Thanks to everyone who has posted in the past several months, I think I have a pretty good idea how to get started.

My questions are:

- Is there a special trick to pressing large flowers, like hibiscus?

- Are some flowers just not suitable for pressing, like coneflowers with the large center cone?

- For spire-type flowers with petals on all 4 sides, like Cats Whiskers for example, do you remove some of the back-side petals before pressing?

- If I want to do some very thin slices of citrus fruit, would it be better to pick it before it's ripe so it's dryer or do fruits not work at all?

Thanks!

Kate

White Coneflower and a white Cat's Whiskers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josh_z8a

Hi Kate. Best for pressing are what I'd call "flat-faced, single-ply" flowers like Violets, Pansies, Geraniums, or ferns, leaves, etc. You can experiment with others as you mentioned with your Cat's Whiskers (lovely photo), but I don't think there would be any way to press Coneflower.

I've no experience with fruit except for Pomegranate which will dry on its own unsliced. Well, I've had limes dry whole but it was unintended...and they turned a dark greenish-black...not pretty!

I only grow the Hibiscus coccineus which is easily pressed but it is one of those flatfaced singleply fkowers...I think the others would do better dried in silica gel.

Check out a couple of library books...just to get a good basic understanding of the different methods of preserving flowers. Then experiment...you have access to so many lovely plants that may not be found in books(like your Cats Whiskers).

Good luck. josh

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 3:48AM
busyd95

Fruit slices are best dried in the oven on very low heat--just watch them, you'll know when they are done to your taste.

If you want to simulate a pressed coneflower, how about pressing just the petals and using a dried orange slice as the center?

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 8:44AM
jlahey67_yahoo_com

Can Lily-of-the-Valley be pressed successfully? I want to make a card for my sister; it's her favorite flower and I have tons of them growing in my yard. She lives in WI and I live in MA, so I can't just pick them and drive over and give them to her. Any help is appreciated and thankyou ahead of time!

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Mystery dried plant
I am trying to find the name of the dried plant shown...
moonlightpeg
Preserving Fluorescent Glowing flowers (pics!)
Hello all, I am new to the forum and excited to join...
Tennysos
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa
I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite...
Holly- Kay
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
heartsong2
Sponsored Products
White Flower Brushed Nickel Double Swag Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
5 Lights Tiffany Style Lily Flower & Jewelry d�cor Chandelier
ParrotUncle
Flower Printed 84-inch Grommet Curtain
Overstock.com
Henri Studio Wild Wood Outdoor Birdbath
Lamps Plus
Metallic Glass Burmese Calla Lily Garden Light
$279.00 | FRONTGATE