Drought tolerant annuals?

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)May 8, 2005

Favorite really drought tolerant annuals? I have a spot with LOTS of heat and sun that's impractical to water often besides the other plants (perennials etc.) that I've got there what annuals can take drought? But of course ones that wouldn't suffer to much with a few New Jersey rain storms..... :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Try some "Madagascar periwinkle" (it's an upright vinca). I recall one year buying some for my mother (and grabbing the flat thinking they were impatiens) and saw the different type of leaf after planting. They were put in a south-facing concrete troughs during the hot hot summer of '99 and hardly got watered and they didn't blink an eye and flowered all summer when everyone else's flowering plants had given up the ghost.

These come in all sorts of colors too.

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 9:53PM
lazy_gardens

Try "Indian Blanket" (Gaillardia), desert Zinnias, etc.

They need some water to get them started, but after that, NJ rainfall is plenty for them.

Also, Portulaca

Bookmark   May 21, 2005 at 12:16PM
summergirl(Houston/zone 9)

Not an annual in my area but Lantana can really go without water..We are having a dry spell and of course it is hot and lantana are going stronger than ever.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 4:00PM
tinamcg(Z5b Kansas City)

Gazanias and portulacas are very drought tolerant, they seem to love bad soil and thrive on blistering hot temperatures. Wow -- what great plants for Chicago this year! The other nice thing about gazanias is that they are among the last plants to stop blooming in late fall. Mine went until November last year.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 5:08PM
Grandmabythelake(z5 NE OR)

California poppies do well here (NE Oregon). In fact, in one place, they have escaped a yard where they were planted, and have been reproducing naturally for many years on a hillside, without watering. They are still blooming, although we have had very little rain since May or June, and it is mid-August, now. I don't know how they would do in your area. Here, as in California, we have dry summers.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 11:44AM
turkeyfarm

Try Melampodium. Grows 1-2 ft. high in sturdy little bushes that are covered by midsummer with bright yellow daisy-type flowers that never need deadheading, never bothered by insect pests, and are maintenance-free. I find it hard to grow by seed, so look for it in flats in spring, where it's becoming more available in garden centers. Select Seeds offers it if you want to try it that way, and I have found it occasionaly self seeds. Very useful annual for the busy or lazy or water-short gardener!

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Drought, tall fescue, nutsedge
Can I let tall fescue go dormant during the hot summer...
impaula1950
Adding Clothes Washer Water to Cistern
We have a cistern into which all the roof run-off empties,...
bloominmary
thyme dying between stones
Hi all, I redid my front yard and put in all these...
bigangellover
Hot humid temp (90s)
Hi. My concern is what to do with my seedlings if the...
sammyyummy
Bathwater to water plants/trees
Is it ok to use the water from bathwater to water plants/trees?...
greenrr
Sponsored Products
Good Ideas Resin Rain Vault - RVT-BLK
$83.98 | Hayneedle
Roman Collection Summer Draught 2x8 Glass Tile
$16.99 | TileBar
Bayer Advanced Fungus Control for Lawns (10-Pounds)
Overstock.com
Sample-Roman Collection Summer Drought 2x8 Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
New England Arbors 6 x 6 African Keyhole Garden Bed - VA68239
$499.99 | Hayneedle
ZUO Lamps Drought 63 in. Black Floor Lamp 50156
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™