Air drying Yarrow (Achillea)

Eleanorm(Z5ONT)July 10, 2002

I just received a gorgeous bouquet for my birthday, and there were several stems of golden Yarrow, really pretty, and I was wondering if Yarrow can be air dried?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

Achillea is a great candidate for air drying. It will dry quicker if you strip any foliage (then smell your fingers -- the leaves of yellow yarrow are highly fragrant, although the smell doesn't linger).

Bookmark   July 11, 2002 at 7:55AM
Eleanorm(Z5ONT)

Thanks -- just did the hanging thing, and the leaves do smell great.. They might make good pot pourri.

Bookmark   July 11, 2002 at 11:54AM
karbie18(z5 IL)

Love my yellow yarrow, but never tried to dry it. Do I have to hang it upside down to dry it? How should I store it? Got any suggestions for other good dried flower plants?
Happy Gardening! Karen

Bookmark   July 14, 2002 at 8:42AM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

I've always dried yarrow by stripping the foliage and hanging it upside down in a warmish, darkish, dryish place. Since it has a fairly strong stem and doesn't change much in the drying process, it might dry well just by putting it in a vase without water -- but I haven't actually done it that way.

As for other flowers to dry, the link below gives some suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: What Dried Flowers Are You Growing?

Bookmark   July 15, 2002 at 3:13PM
Kay_H(NE MI-Z5)

I dry my yarrow the easy way...I strip off the leaves and place them in a vase without water. They dry stiff and upright just like that and look nice on an end table while your doing it.

Kay.

Bookmark   July 20, 2002 at 10:31PM
amy_z6_swpa

I'm a complete newbie to drying, but I've been a gardener for years and have dried things here & there....I know Achillea is the easiest plant ever to dry. All I do is hang them upside down on a bar (just put the heads upside down right over the bar), or wrap stems with a rubber band, twist tie, or thread and hang them up to dry. They do all the work themselves.
When they're ready they look so great arranged in a rustic pot. :o)

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 3:18PM
coldirosa

I bought some maroon yarrow at the market. I decided to dry it for displays. I hung it upside down in a darkish and dry environment, but although the stalks are drying, the blooms are very limp and losing their shape. It's been about a week of drying so far. Is the process going as it should?

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 3:34PM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

For drying, you have to wait to pick yarrow until the flower develops pollen. Then it will hold its shape when it dries; otherwise the flowers shrink into pinpoints, rather than pinheads.

The pollen appears in a raised area in the center of each tiny flower -- an English writer about dried flowers calls it the "bobble." I suspect that your yarrow was picked before the bobble appeared, and picking before pollen appears is a fairly common practice for fresh flowers. If I'm correct, I don't think you'll have much luck with your bunch.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 7:28AM
babygirl751_aol_com

How long do yarrows have to dry?

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Dried Lavender - Premium Grade vs French
I am looking for the most long lasting and fragrant...
Living2
Need suggestions for very old pressed flowers
I have found two pressed flowers from the Arctic, one...
Ulohtsa
How About these Gomphrena?
I have a nice full shrub of white gomphrena. I am getting...
gardninlady
preserving large amaryllis flowers
How can I preserve large amaryllis flowers & stalks?...
amaryllisstudygroup
preserved tulip in a bottle
Hello, I'm new here. I want to preserved my tulip and...
Whizker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™