wash machine water

bassketcherMay 21, 2005

I would like to use my wash machine water to water my lawn. I know to conseve water I should let it go dormant for the summer however it is a good sourse of mulch material so i like to keep it green. I would like to know if I can use the soapy water or how to only use the rinse water. I use mostley cold water so that is not a problem.

Is there a way todo it with out standing there and diconecting the hose for each cycle. I am curetly using Purex brand laundry soap. i am sure this will be a problem, Yes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigeasyjock(z8Ms)

Soapy water is not a problem with most plants (citrus is an exception). Read the label of the detergent you use and watch for heavy metals.
Remember that soapy water is used as a green form of insect control (aphids).
If possible I would move the watering spot around so you are not dumping soapy water over and over in the same spot.

You don't want to dump hot water straight into the garden so when washing whites you would switch to the sewage system or have a catch barrel that would slow down the water long enough to allow for cooling. You don't need to change out the hose if install a divertor in the drain line. Then its just a matter of turning a knob. Easy thing to install if you have pvc drain lines ... cast iron is much more of a pain and likely not worth the effort of installing a divertor. If you have cast iron you will need to move that washer drain hose after all ;o)
Mike

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Drought resistant tree
A drought tolerant garden doesn't have to be boring....
lgteacher
Hot humid temp (90s)
Hi. My concern is what to do with my seedlings if the...
sammyyummy
Planting in September???
I live in San Antonio, TX. My Spring and Summer plants...
cindy24
How do you get accurate rainfall measurements?
Please share where I can go online to find rainfall...
rosiew
Making a rain barrel
Finally found a good plastic 55 gal barrel with a screw...
dragonladytoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™