Making Lavender Bottles/Wands

blheron(7 and 8)July 16, 2010

I recently learned how to make lavender bottles/wands and I *love* them. For anyone who makes them I need some help!

I know they need to be made while the stems are still pliable, but I was just offered a chance to trim the flowers off a huge lavender plant. Add to that, I'm going to a Lavender Festival this weekend--I *know* I will just *have* to buy more !

My question is, is there a way to keep the cut stems pliable for an extended time until I can make them into wands? There is no way I can use all of this lavender before the stems dry out too much to use. I will be drying some, but I would like to make a bunch of wands/bottles.

Help?

Thank :o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

This may come too late, but when you trim, concentrate on getting the stems where only one or two florets have bloomed. They will last in water quite a while, and you can still make wands a few days later, when perhaps half of the florets have bloomed.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 8:04AM
blheron(7 and 8)

Thanks Neil :). It's not too late, I have a large coffee can filled with cut lavender (in water)!

I was hoping maybe I could freeze them or there was some other magical way to keep them pliable, but I asked several vendors and farmers at the Lavender Festival and they all said basically the same thing you did.

I bought a few plants, my favorite is the variety "Grosso." It has dark purple flowers, long stems, and it *very* fragrant!

I've made a few of the bottles, but it's a slow process for me :(. Wish there was a way to prolong the freshness other than drying---they smell soooo good!

Thanks again :o).

Linda

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 12:11PM
sylky00(z6 KY)

I'm envious of your lavender harvest; my plants were injured in an ice storm and are still recuperating.
I don't know if this will be useful to you or not, but this tip greatly reduced the amt. of time it took me to make a wand. When you are bending down the stems to make the 'cage', bring down only 1 stem at a time to start the weave. This makes the first 2 rows, which are the hardest, much easier. Let me know if it works for you.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
dyeing flowers
Does anyone have specific information on dyeing dried...
free_spirit
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa
I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite...
Holly- Kay
How About these Gomphrena?
I have a nice full shrub of white gomphrena. I am getting...
gardninlady
Need suggestions for very old pressed flowers
I have found two pressed flowers from the Arctic, one...
Ulohtsa
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™