You can dry zinnias and buddleia?

ddunbar(z5 IN)July 21, 2004

I saw in the "What are you growing?" thread someone mentioned growing zinnias and buddleia. For drying? If so, how? I've never heard of these as "drying" types. I grow both of these for farmers' markets and have LOTS mid-week that go to waste.

If there's a simple way to dry these, I'd love to know!

Thanks!

DD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

I've never tried zinnias, never even been tempted to try because in general things with their structure don't dry well.

But I have dried buddleia -- hanging upside down. We do our drying in a barn loft, and it gets pretty warm. Buddleia is neat because it keeps some of its scent. The flowers may darken, mauve becoming a deep purple.

Bookmark   July 21, 2004 at 3:30PM
sylky00(z6 KY)

The only way I can get zinnias to dry is with silica gel. Although it is a little time-consuming, I think they're worth the effort. They are sturdy & keep their color well.
The pinks & reds work best for me- whites can look dirty, orangy shades change colors, and the yellows don't hold as well.
I agree w/ Neil about the buddleia scent-to me, it smells better dried than fresh.

Bookmark   July 23, 2004 at 8:07AM
ddunbar(z5 IN)

Thanks for the answers! I've already cut some buddleia and have them hanging to dry. I'd love to try the zinnias, but doubt I'll have the time to work with the silica. I am a specialty cut flower grower and I am at the peak of season...had some bad weather and I'm really behind. However, I will definitely keep it in mind for future seasons.
I appreciate your help as I am really new to drying and preserving flowers. My only experience has been with Statice and Celosia. I expect I'll learn quite a lot from the experienced folks on this forum!
DD

Bookmark   July 23, 2004 at 9:12AM
lmariesteve(z5 OH)

I have dried Zinnias before and have had pretty good luck with them. I just bundle them and hang them upside down on a drying rack in my barn. The colors do fade some but have enough to use. Sometimes I will lightly touch up color using the floral paint. The kind I grow are the small bloom "lilliput" I don't grow the larger bloom variety.

Bookmark   October 3, 2004 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for very old pressed flowers
I have found two pressed flowers from the Arctic, one...
Ulohtsa
Is this mold?
I cut this flower in half before pressing with the...
DSalvation
Using flowers to die your hair?
Has anyone ever tried dyeing their hair with henna?...
RochelleLY
lambs ear
Can the flower part of a lambs ear be dried and used...
cinjo
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa
I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite...
Holly- Kay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™