How much rain are you missing from average?

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALJune 8, 2011

For this year, there is 15.19" of missing rain here from the average of 25.78". That's a shortage of 59%.

What are your numbers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neohippie(8b)

I'm not sure what my numbers are, but I bet they're even lower. I just read that Texas is in its third worst drought in history, and since October we've had a long string of "driest [insert month here]'s" in history.

My city is about to go into Stage 3 water restrictions, which limits watering to once a week by hand or by soaker hose, and once every two weeks by sprinkler.

Stage 4 is as high as it goes.

Here's a link to the U.S. Drought Monitor website for Texas: http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_state.htm?TX,S

I'm in the maroon bit. "Exceptional" drought, the worst category. This drought is already the third worst in history, and considering how it's only June, it's probably not going to get any better for a while and could possibly end up the worst in history.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 10:19PM
subtropix

So far, soil moisture is normal/good here. This current drought seems focused on Texas, Oklahoma, Gulf states and parts of Florida. Last Summer saw SEVERE drought though and August is no longer the WETTEST month of the year--now it seems likely to be drought month. Winter precip (rain and snow) seems much higher now--high enough to fill the aquifers and get us through the dry season. I have a feeling though that it's about to get hotter and DRIER on the East coast now.--Droughts tend to expand and spread more drought.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 10:08PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Had some short rains here lately but still missing just under 20" from normal, a deficit of 53%. Since most of it runs off instead of soaking into the hydrophobic soil, 2 days later everything is wilted again.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:01AM
subtropix

Definitely looks to be growing in coverage and severity.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 4:53PM
novascapes

Since last September I have had just a hair under 6". Our average rainfal is supposed to be 34" per year.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 7:00AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Let's see. Normal 35" and I have had 5 3/4". That is 29" and she is still not raining. Another La Nina.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 8:48PM
finchelover(5b-6)

we are 10 below The farmers are really suffering but some places are worse. Not a good year at all

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 6:20PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

The drought map link has changed:

Animated , past 12 weeks.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
What's your Water Retention Trick!
Hi everyone, I have a home on a corner lot and it gets...
Jocque
Rain barrels - keeping water from stagnating
Now that we have some makeshift rain barrels set up,...
hollyk
How do you cut your water use?
As many of us are looking towards a drought that is...
merj13
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from Groundcover) Can anyone tell me...
rosemint
55 gallon barrels
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get/buy...
momofkandh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™