wild rabbits and drought

flemfam4(5)July 12, 2012

We are in the middle of a severe drought in SE WI. I've been watering my mixed shrub, tree and perennial bed trying to save what I can. Many of the shrubs and perennials were newly planted last year. Since I have just about the only green oasis in the neighborhood the rabbits have been eating what they can to survive. I can't blame them and usually there's more than enough plants for the both of us, except this year they are really taking a toll. Is there anything that I can feed them to supplement their diet so it doesn't have to be the plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Nope. Fence in the shrubs and provide a drinking basin for them. A birdbath placed on the ground will work.

They CAN eat dried vegetation, they just need more water to properly digest it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 12:18PM
john_p_wi(4 / 5 SE WI)

Sorry for not answering your question, but I too live in SW WI and my garden has been attacked by rabbits, ground hogs, deer and turkeys in ways that it never has before. This drought is terrible. We have had less than 0.25" of rain in the last month and a half. Good luck. John

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 4:52PM
mrsmuggleton

Can you get them some of the commercial rabbit/guinea pig food and put out for them. A bowl of water as already suggested to go with it.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:43AM
More Discussions
Are ollas worth it?
I live in North Louisiana. My summers are hot, humid,...
LullabyF360
Planting in September???
I live in San Antonio, TX. My Spring and Summer plants...
cindy24
55 gallon barrels
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get/buy...
momofkandh
Adding a water storage tank to an existing well system
Hello All, This is my first post on this forum. I've...
hmhumes
Making 'driwater' (water gel)
Hello every one. If any body knows the Driwater product...
carralluma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™