newbie - how to tell when Microwave pressed flowers are done?

WendyB(5A/MA)August 30, 2003

I'm trying out a new Microwave flower press (Lee Valley) for the first time and I love it!

Sometimes, I'm having a hard time figuring out when the flower is done. Especially flowers with prominent centers. I think the center is not done, but the petals are. Do I cook it some more? I noticed this especially with impatiens and a rose, but not limerock ruby.

Even pressing simple fern foliage (jap painted fern), I couldn't tell what was done. I tried two 30-second spurts. seemed good. Did another 30 seconds. still seemed good. Not sure what the difference was. do I have to go too far and sacrifice the plant to learn the hard way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindaleb1(6/7)

Whenever I pressed flowers in the microwave I used the defrost mode for 30 seconds at a time. I don't think you have to worry if you are in defrost. By the way, I did lots of hard to press flowers for a Japanese friendship thing, even roses. I had the flowers in a press, and just put them in the microwave every day. Ferns and the like are easy. When you have to do more time is with flowers that have a lot of oils, like roses.

Bookmark   September 21, 2003 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
HeartSong2
Drying Hibiscus flowers
A friend gave us some hibiscus flower tea. The dried...
gardener49
dyeing flowers
Does anyone have specific information on dyeing dried...
free_spirit
preserving large amaryllis flowers
How can I preserve large amaryllis flowers & stalks?...
amaryllisstudygroup
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™