Pressed flowers going brown

Emma_B(UK)August 3, 2005

Hello, I having been pressing flowers and leaves etc for a number of years. However last years cuttings when I went to retrieve them had on the whole all gone brown. Now as far as I can tell I didn't do anything different last year to what I would normally do. Please note that they had actually gone brown in the press as opposed to going brown in storage. Any advice so that I don't repeat what I obviously did wrong this time. Thanks for reading, Emma.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylky00(z6 KY)

I don't do a lot of pressed flowers, but I have had some of my dried flowers turn brown when the humidity was too high. I also had some blooms stored in metal tins go brown;I use plastic ones now, & it hasn't happened since. Maybe some silica gel in your storage containers would help.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 5:27PM
Emma_B(UK)

Thank you very much for your advice.The strange thing is I have done this exactly the same as I always would have done and got a different result. I think I will try your suggestion with regards silica gel but actually put grains/dust in along with the flowers I'm pressing. Has anyone else tried that previously? If so what were the results?
Cheers Emma

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 2:34PM
Josh(z8a)

Emma, what are the 'grains/dust' you used with your flowers? I was interested in hearing if you had figured out what caused your flowers to turn brown. The only time I've experienced this is when I've tried pressing something like Azaleas which hold so much moisture. I usually dry/press mostly foliage or tiny weed flowers so everything goes in phonebooks and I don't bother changing papers...I just make sure there are several pages between each addition.

Just a hobby for me, though I'd still be devastated to find brown instead of nice colors when I at last peeked...usually weeks later. Do you suppose the grains/dust (?) somehow attracted moisture? I know with silica gel you must seal airtight the box after you add flowers.

The only other thought I had was that I reuse my phonebooks unless I notice a musty smell and discoloration on pages. Were you perhaps reusing blotter paper which might have had mildew spores (maybe not even visible to naked eye?).

Just some thoughts...I hope you'll post if and when you figure it out...thanks. josh

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Looking for a home for dried flowers
Hello, My mom's passion for the last 30 years was making...
Matt7
preserving large amaryllis flowers
How can I preserve large amaryllis flowers & stalks?...
amaryllisstudygroup
Dried Lavender - Premium Grade vs French
I am looking for the most long lasting and fragrant...
Living2
dyeing flowers
Does anyone have specific information on dyeing dried...
free_spirit
preserved tulip in a bottle
Hello, I'm new here. I want to preserved my tulip and...
Whizker
Sponsored Products
Classic Lighting Inspiration Chrome Eight-Light 24 Wide Mini Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Juliet's Garden Outdoor Canvas Art
Grandin Road
Elk Lighting 4.75H in. Flower Keep Sake Box - 129-1015
$40.00 | Hayneedle
Pre-owned Dead Flowers No. 2 Painting
Chairish
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Decorators Collection
Diamond Sofa Accent Flower Floor Vase In Light Walnut
Beyond Stores
ELK Lighting Circeo 18130/2 Wall Sconce - Deep Rust - 11W in. Multicolor - 18130
$210.00 | Hayneedle
Forever Green Art The Gather In g
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™