Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa

Holly- KayAugust 28, 2013

I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite a bit on the home forums.

I have several beautiful hydrangea bushes and would like to properly dry them so I can enjoy them inside this winter. Please help me with sharing your methods. TIA.

Holly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peony4

Hi, Holly,

I am in zone 5 and have Annabelle hydrangeas, which bloom creamy white, and then go lime green and finally brown. In the lime-green-almost-brown stage, I cut and place them in a vase with water. In a week or so, the water has evaporated, and the flowers are sufficiently dried to use.

I learned this method when I visited a local home decor store that had beautiful dried flower arrangements, and spotted the owner cutting some of her hydrangeas in the store's parking lot! I asked her how she dried them, and she reluctantly shared the method above with me. ;-)

I think it depends upon the type of hydrangea, the growing season, and at what point you want them dried to display. If you have the space and patience, I would experiment with cutting at various times to see what works best.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 12:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly- Kay

Thank you so much! My hydrangeas are blue then turn green and then brown. I love them at each and every stage. We are going to plant three more hydrangeas in the spring so even more sources!

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
heartsong2
pink or blue antifreeze as glycerine alternative?
I read about this and wonder if anyone can compare...
erasmus_gw
lambs ear
Can the flower part of a lambs ear be dried and used...
cinjo
Framing pressed flowers/leaves
Hello! I've spent the past year collecting leaf and...
peony4
White Spots and Lines on my Catharanthus Roseus Flowers
Hi I have transplanted many catharanthus roseus flowers...
shaiqbashir
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™