dried allium

mrtulinAugust 9, 2003

I have a half dozen beautiful allium christophii flower heads. I am air drying them bundled, upside down because the soft stems cannot support the big flower head. However, I;m sure the stems will never support those big flowers.

Is florist wire what I want to insert into the stems? What guage or size? Any other suggestions?

Also, what are your most successful decorative uses of these unusal plants. The heads are so interesting I could see cutting off the stems and using them somehow.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Ida, I've used bamboo skewers, usually available about 15" long, to support stems. You can glue two together to make them longer..just extend one below the other about halfway...does this make sense?

Also, if I were you I'd disentangle the bunch and hang each separately. When dried they are fairly fragile and it will be hard to separate without damage.

As to other uses, they make beautiful xmas tree decorations...just cut off head and tuck into branches. I've seen them sprayed white, gold or silver for this use. I just used them natural along with bits of things made from artemesia, other seedheads, small baskets, straw ornaments, etc.

The heads also look great just piled in wooden platter ...maybe atop some potpourri. jo

Bookmark   August 12, 2003 at 5:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leanne38

Hello

I have been trying to find dried allium head for an art project where I wrap them in wire but with no success, would you possibly be interested in selling some of your heads?

Regards
Leanne.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
Lee Valley Flower Press
Has anyone tried the Lee Valley Microwave Press Kit?...
cookie8
Is this mold?
I cut this flower in half before pressing with the...
DSalvation
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
heartsong2
White Spots and Lines on my Catharanthus Roseus Flowers
Hi I have transplanted many catharanthus roseus flowers...
shaiqbashir
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™