lady's thumb

noinwiSeptember 17, 2005

Hs anyone dried lady's thumb? It looks like it would be a good filler if it will keep it's buds. I gathered some and removed the foliage and will hang it upside down. I haven't done much drying aside from a few herbs. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylky00(z6 KY)

Do you know the botanical name of this plant? I'm not sure what 'lady's thumb' is. If not, maybe you could post a picture.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 10:14AM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

It's Polygonum persicaria. A very similar flower, P. pensylvanicum, Pennsylvania smartweed, is a fairly widespread weed. We've got a lot of it and I was thinking of trying some last weekend. I suspect that, like many plants with weedy habits, it will try to go to seed as soon as it's picked, but there's no harm in trying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady's thumb

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 2:05PM
noinwi

Yes, it is a weed, but kind of pretty. I tried spraying them with hairspray(when I hung them) but they fell apart anyway. Maybe I'll try a different method next year, glycerin perhaps.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 4:38PM
sylky00(z6 KY)

Thank you, Neil, for the link. I've dried this before, and it does shed, but still retains a lot of the little beads. The color doesn't hold too well, and I like to use dyes or sprays as little as possible, but if that's not an issue for you, try again-maybe they were just too far along when you picked them. The Silbers' book says to pick the Polygonum types when the spike is fully developed, but not mature. I've dried the smartweed, too, & it kept its color better. There's a white weed in the same family that dries really well, also. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 5:30PM
noinwi

I think the ones I picked were too far gone. After reading your info, I know I will definitely try again next year. Thank you!

Bookmark   September 21, 2005 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Mystery dried plant
I am trying to find the name of the dried plant shown...
moonlightpeg
Where to get Sunwave flower press?
I'd like to get my mother a Sunwave flower press, but...
iowariver
Dried Seed Pod ID
Hello! Does anyone recognize this dried pod? Many thanks!...
elenarain
Dried flowers
Hi. I'm a newb and recently bought this flower but...
dindin
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
HeartSong2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™