Borax and cornmeal to dry flowers

Elysa(z7 OR)September 3, 2003

Has anyone ever used borax and cornmeal to dry flowers? I have a book that says the mixture can be used. But it doesn't say how much to use of each in the mix. Any ideas on the amount to use? Elysa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

Have had good success with only Borax. It works well with delicate flowers that do not dry well by hanging. Queen Anne's Lace is one example. I put about an inch of Borax in the bottom of a leak proof container. I place tissue or paper towel over the layer of Borax. I leave several inches of stem on the flower. I place the flower facing downward on the paper towel. I carefully cover the flower to a depth that the stem will stand upright. Leave the flowers undisturbed until the stem is dry. Carefully remove and brush off any clinging Borax with a soft brush. I have also dried Shasta Daisies with this method with very satisfactory results.

Bookmark   September 5, 2003 at 12:58AM
Millet(z5)

The main problem with corn meal and borax is that it sticks to the flower centers and is hard to remove without damaging the dried flower. There is a new type of silica gel that is micro beads (rather than the usual sugar looking silica gel). It dries very well and does not stick at all. The best that I have found.

Bookmark   September 21, 2003 at 12:40AM
Josh(z8a)

Millet, Could you give us the brandname and where you found the beaded silica gel? I sure am afraid of my big canister of the powdered type because it is hard to use without breathing in the fine dust...and I know it can't be good for you. Thanks. jo

Bookmark   September 21, 2003 at 2:12AM
enchantedplace

This is the reason I cover the Borax with the paper and place the flowers face downward. Another tissue may also be placed over the backs before covering with Borax. I leave the container in a dry environment and there is very little sticking to the flowers which can easily be blown away or brushed away with a soft brush. I never combine corn meal with the Borax. Borax may be purchased in the laundry products section of the supermarket. Best of Luck.

Bookmark   September 22, 2003 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
White Spots and Lines on my Catharanthus Roseus Flowers
Hi I have transplanted many catharanthus roseus flowers...
shaiqbashir
Mystery dried plant
I am trying to find the name of the dried plant shown...
moonlightpeg
Is this mold?
I cut this flower in half before pressing with the...
DSalvation
preserved tulip in a bottle
Hello, I'm new here. I want to preserved my tulip and...
Whizker
Dried flowers
Hi. I'm a newb and recently bought this flower but...
dindin
Sponsored Products
Leaf Bronze Mini Pendant with Amber Crystal Glass
$118.80 | Bellacor
Silk 20-inch Mini Calla Lily Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Hinkley Black Shell 12V LED Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Red Lion Garden Amaryllis Bulb - Set of 12
$34.99 | zulily
Triple Cedar Screen in Rectangular Planter Christmas Decor
FRONTGATE