How do you cut your water use?
As many of us are looking towards a drought that is not projected to end for several years, I thought it'd be interesting to see what your ideas are for saving water. Don't limit yourself to the garden!
A group I belong to is collecting ideas and passing them on to our city government, so along with all the Gardenweb readers, YOUR ideas could be useful to many!
Some thoughts I have are
1) use hand sanitizer instead of water and soap (great if you have little ones)
2) put a 2-liter drink bottle full of water in your toilet tank, especially if it is an older toilet
3) collect shower water while it is heating up; use it in the toilet for extra flushes (if it's not already designated for a parched plant!)
4) consolidate uses: wash your face and shave in the shower so that water doesn't have to warm up twice
5) share a bath--okay, this works best for the 6 and under crowd
6) use a timer when you shower. We've had a little contest to see who can get clean the quickest.
7) use paper plates to eliminate dish washing (use this idea only if you don't have landfill problems!)
I'm just getting started, but there are so many ways we can help each other out...what are your thoughts!