drying crabapples and berries

Phil901September 7, 2003

How can I go about drying/preserving crabapples or berries for use on grapevine wreaths?????

Thanks, I would appreciate any help

Phil901

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Phil, I've dried berries of Nandina, Pyracantha, Dogwood, Bayberry, some Viburnum. Chinaberry, and Popcorn Tree (Sapium), just by laying on a wire rack, or standing stems in a jar (no water). Even tried Phytolacca (Poke Salad) in the still green stage. In fact, even Blueberries in the green-pink stage will dry okay. I've never tried Crabapple, but I'd try some still in the hard green or just coloring stage, along with the red. You might get a nice range of colors plus if they are very large Crabapples, they may rot if they are too ripe. Good luck! jo

Bookmark   September 8, 2003 at 12:05PM
rox_roxsoftware_com

Your information was very helpful. I would like to dry crabapples for my sister's wedding in mid-October. Do you remember how long it took for the blueberries and other berries to dry standing in an empty cup? Thanks!

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 4:44PM
sylky00(z6 KY)

I think the crabapples are beautiful, too, and tried drying them. As Josh said, the earlier you pick them the better. The ones I picked that were just turning color did the best. Sadly, they didn't end up drying, but they did last for several months. I wouldn't give up, though. Your humidity levels & other factors may differ enough from mine that yours would dry. Drying flowers, berries, fruits, etc. involves a lot of trial and error. Good luck with your efforts!

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Where to get Sunwave flower press?
I'd like to get my mother a Sunwave flower press, but...
iowariver
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
heartsong2
Dried flowers
Hi. I'm a newb and recently bought this flower but...
dindin
Drying Hibiscus flowers
A friend gave us some hibiscus flower tea. The dried...
gardener49
preserving large amaryllis flowers
How can I preserve large amaryllis flowers & stalks?...
amaryllisstudygroup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™