Dried eucalyptus wreath problem

ericasj(6B-7 NJ)October 5, 2004

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this.

I bought a eucalyptus wreath a little over a year ago. I keep it on our front porch, which is semi-enclosed--closed on three sides, and a screen door on the front. It doesn't get directly rained on, but the porch can be generally damp, especially with the wet summer we've had.

When I lifted the wreath off its hook recently, I noticed it felt cool and heavy, like it had absorbed moisture. And here is the big thing--there is white furry stuff "growing" off some of it. I don't know whether it's actual mold, or the eucalyptus oil leaching out somehow.

Is there any way to save it, or should it just be pitched? How can I keep this from happening again with a new one? Should I give up on dried wreaths of any kind in this kind of damp situation?

Thanks!

Erica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylky00(z6 KY)

It probably is mold, Erica. I'm in a high-humidity area, & have found mold growing on some of my drieds. If the humidity is getting above 55% very often, it will probably be too damp. If the mold is not in a conspicuous area, maybe you could remove the affected leaves, & move the wreath to a drier area. On the porch, a grapevine-based wreath might be better, decorated with something not so apt to be affected by dampness. Maybe bittersweet berries for fall, or rosehips. Fall leaves can be dried & dipped in melted paraffin for extra sturdiness, then glued to the wreath base. Artemesia doesn't seem to be affected by the dampness too much, either.

Bookmark   October 9, 2004 at 11:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hipgranny63(8)

I, too, have experienced a problem with my dried eucalyptus wreath that I bought only a month ago. But, my problem is that it's weeping eucalyptus oil! I couldn't figure out where the yellow oil was coming from as it was in spots on my white door and around the frame. Then, I looked at the wreath and could see droplets on the ends of the stems! I'm not sure if it can be salvaged or not. The door is sheltered from the elements, but we've had a very damp fall and it does get windy. Any suggestions? I would take it back but I lost the receipt from Michael's.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Dried and pressed flowers
I recently bought a kit and started working with pressed...
georgeth
Shipping eucalyptus leaves from CA to WA
Hello folks ~ Need some advice about the legality of...
sweetpea_path
Need suggestions for very old pressed flowers
I have found two pressed flowers from the Arctic, one...
Ulohtsa
How About these Gomphrena?
I have a nice full shrub of white gomphrena. I am getting...
gardninlady
Can I Re-color Pressed Flower?
So I have this school project to make something using...
ElviraS
Sponsored Products
Accent Lamps: 15.75 in. Old World Table Lamp with Antique Brasss LT1005-BRS
Home Depot
Laurel Wreath Rug 9' x 12'
$2,999.00 | Horchow
Sterling 7014270 30 in. Light Up Santa - Brown Coat - 7014270
$112.99 | Hayneedle
Laurel Wreath Tins - Set of 3
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
John Richard Black and Gold Urn Table Lamp
Lamps Plus