skeletonizing leaves

Dorie_in_Alabama(7a)October 26, 2002

Does anyone know of a method to skeletonize different kinds of leaves? Thanks for any ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terramadre

This link has instructions

Here is a link that might be useful: leaves

Bookmark   October 29, 2002 at 3:36AM
Josh(z8a)

Dorie, If you've had lots of rain there recently like we've had, check under the Magnolia trees...I found several leaves yesterday almost skeletonized by Mother Nature. Also a few Oak leaves. Just needed a little rubbing as I washed them.

Also, I ran across a method in Penny Black's book "A Passion for Flowers". I've never tried it but she's a real professional and uses a lot of skeletonized leaves in her published work, so I'd think it worth a try if I weren't scared of pressure cookers...LOL Anyway, her method is:

"Green Magnolia leaves can be gathered from tree and skeletonized by pressure-cooking them in about 1-1/2 inches of water, to which has been added 1 teaspoon of soda crystals, for about 12 minutes. If leaf tissue can not be brushed away, may need additional 5 to 10 minutes cooking time".

Do you know what she means by "soda crystals"? Someone told me it was Borax...but I'm not sure. As I said, I've NOT tried this, just offering for info. If you (or anyone here) tries it, would you please report back to the rest of us scaredy cats?...jo

Bookmark   October 31, 2002 at 10:15PM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

I would assume that "soda crystals" means washing soda, the material used in one of the methods in the page Terramadre gave a link for.

Bookmark   November 1, 2002 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Looking for a home for dried flowers
Hello, My mom's passion for the last 30 years was making...
Matt7
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa
I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite...
Holly- Kay
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
Mystery dried plant
I am trying to find the name of the dried plant shown...
moonlightpeg
Dried flowers
Hi. I'm a newb and recently bought this flower but...
dindin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™