How About these Gomphrena?

gardninladyOctober 7, 2002

I have a nice full shrub of white gomphrena. I am getting ready to do the fall cleaning in the garden and wondered if anyone could give me any tips on drying these and uses. They are such nice shapes and it seems a waste to toss them.

Thanks

Carolyn the Gardninlady

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

You can air-dry them by hanging them upside down. It can take two-three weeks to get the stems really dry. It also depends on how long you cut the stems -- if you cut low, so that there are nodes -- "joints" -- as you go up, where individual stems branch off, that takes tho longest -- things will look almost done, but will still bend at those joints. We hang them until you can a) tilt the bunch and have everything stay straight or b) (the harder test) lift the bunch straight up when you put your fingertip under a flower head.

If you strip the foliage, they'll dry a little quicker, but the foliage gets a fairly nice light gray-green color when it dries.

You can use them in dry bouquets, obviously -- making a bouquet from the dried white gomphrena alone, adding other colors of gomphrena, or adding some spikey things as an accent.

If you don't want to use the flowers with their stems, you can just add the flower heads to potpourri or glue-gun them to a wreath -- pretty effective with red or purple flowers -- but with white ones, for use in a wreath it might be best to dry them with at least some stems and stick them into a regular evergreen wreath at Christmas.

Bookmark   October 7, 2002 at 8:28PM
gardninlady

WOW !! Thanks for the quick reply! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Much Appreciated
Carolyn

Bookmark   October 7, 2002 at 9:18PM
Judy7(5 A Central IL)

I love gomphrena, especially Strawberry Fields, the beautiful rust variety. Merely cut the smaller stems from that one long one and rubber band several together. Unbend a paper clip and insert and hang in a cool, dark, room. I never remove the stems but do remove some of the leaves - they turn a lovely pale sage green/gray. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 25, 2004 at 9:20AM
heidi41(z5 Mass)

I also grow the Strawberry fields. Absolutely beautiful. Also I grow the QIS mix, also great. I have a big surplus,which I had planned on, so as I can make up some potpourri for holiday sales. Good luck on yours. Heidi

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 12:00PM
cagoldbear(9a - Houston)

QIS purple turned out completely pink, I ordered from Johnny's Seed. Last year I had the vibrant fuscia variety that stayed low, but this QIS mix is a tall lanky pink variety. Hmm. Won't be growing from seed again, I guess!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Is this mold?
I cut this flower in half before pressing with the...
DSalvation
Need suggestions for very old pressed flowers
I have found two pressed flowers from the Arctic, one...
Ulohtsa
Using flowers to die your hair?
Has anyone ever tried dyeing their hair with henna?...
RochelleLY
Preserve roses with glycerine
Hi there, I just joined this forum and I spent different...
Mattia
preserved tulip in a bottle
Hello, I'm new here. I want to preserved my tulip and...
Whizker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™