Drying mountain ash berries

feldon(z7 WA)October 24, 2006

I have a mountain ash tree which is covered with bunches of red berries. How do I go about drying them. I want to use them in a wreath.

Felicity

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

I hope someone with actual experience with Mountain Ash berries will respond but in the meantime I'm going to suggest you experiment if you have enough time (and berries).

I've never even seen a Mountain Ash but I've dried berries from lots of other trees and shrubs by just clipping twigs or branches and standing in a container with no water. Or lay them out on newspaper or racks to dry. When I try something unfamiliar to me, I try a few just barely ripe (red) and some ripe, as often one type will last longer dried or shrink/discolor less. It's mostly just trial and error for me. Some might even drop off the stem once dried when you work with them so it might be better to make your wreaths with the fresh berries and let them dry on the wreath. Just pick a few twigs and experiment.

This is just to maybe get you started...still hoping someone who really knows their berries ~smile~ will chime in. Good luck. josh

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 7:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spices_chumleyandstellas_com

I would be interested in purchasing a package of dried Mountain Ash berries for my Ras el Hanout.
Pleeeeese contact me if that is possible.

Warm regards,
Renee; sole proprietor, Chumley & Stellas & Co.s

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Dried Seed Pod ID
Hello! Does anyone recognize this dried pod? Many thanks!...
elenarain
lambs ear
Can the flower part of a lambs ear be dried and used...
cinjo
Can I Re-color Pressed Flower?
So I have this school project to make something using...
ElviraS
Lee Valley Flower Press
Has anyone tried the Lee Valley Microwave Press Kit?...
cookie8
Shipping eucalyptus leaves from CA to WA
Hello folks ~ Need some advice about the legality of...
sweetpea_path
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™