Has anyone grown Craspedia ?

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)November 16, 2004

HI has anyone grown Craspedia globosa ?????? As an annual?????? I was thinking of growing some...... its commonly called billy or bachelor buttons......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

Yes, I've grown it for a couple years now and will grow it again this coming season.

I start the seeds fairly early and put the plants out usually in April with some frost protection (Reemay or similar fabric over hoops). They just look like bunching grass for a long time, then flower stalks begin to appear.

I don't get a very high yeild per plant, but the flowers are good-looking, dry easily, and, for dried flowers, have pretty long stems. This year, I'll try improving the soil somewhat, although in general plants that dry well seem to prefer things on the lean side.

I've seen some sources that recommend growing them as perennials. I can't manage that in SW Michigan. Even with a lot of frost protection, they die over the winter or exhaust themselves trying to come back in the spring. Better to start them early and pull them in the fall.

I get my seeds from Thompson and Morgan. T&M is usually not my favorite source for most things, but for some reason, on this variety, the seed count is relatively generous and germination is fine. Some other sources charge a lot for a few seeds. T&M also does well with amaranthus varieties, if you're looking to add things to your order to spread out the shipping costs.

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
White Spots and Lines on my Catharanthus Roseus Flowers
Hi I have transplanted many catharanthus roseus flowers...
shaiqbashir
How About these Gomphrena?
I have a nice full shrub of white gomphrena. I am getting...
gardninlady
lambs ear
Can the flower part of a lambs ear be dried and used...
cinjo
Using flowers to die your hair?
Has anyone ever tried dyeing their hair with henna?...
RochelleLY
Dried Lavender - Premium Grade vs French
I am looking for the most long lasting and fragrant...
Living2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™