Top mounted hand pump for rain barrel

dixielib(z6/7 Ga)September 27, 2009

Hi, I have a 55 gallon drum I am going to use for a rain barrel. It had two caps on top which I have removed. A 3 inch atrium drain cover fits over one and the downspout extension fits over that. I have ordered a hand pump (lever action) that will screw into the other opening. My plumbing experience is limited to stopping a toilet from running so I didn't want to drill a hole in the lower part of the drum, install a spigot, etc. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts? I am going to install a second drum in another month or two and want to try this again, but am open to other suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
californian

Get a barrel where the whole top is removable and just dip the water out with a bucket. You have to be able to clean your barrel as the water coming off your roof will likely be very dirty, especially for the first few minutes of the storm until the rain washes all the dust off your roof. If you don't clean your barrel after every storm eventually the bottom will be full of mud from the dust on your roof.

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 2:24AM
rockguy(7a)

Or turn the barrel on it's side and put an elbow fitting in the larger bung hole, then install a faucet in the smaller hole.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 5:33AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

You'll get tired of that hand pump real fast.
The drill pump isn't worth the $ because you'll have to replace the drill too often. They aren't made for sustained use. A small pond pump could be dropped inside the barrel. Just make sure the cord is long enough. I would turn the barrel on it's side or even better upside down, put a fitting and a 90* degree pvc elbow with a nozzle on one of the caps and cut a hole in what was the bottom to fill it. Check out the link below for a similar design. This can be done with one barrel.

Here is a link that might be useful: MNT's Rainwater Collection System with Manifold

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Rain barrels - keeping water from stagnating
Now that we have some makeshift rain barrels set up,...
hollyk
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from Groundcover) Can anyone tell me...
rosemint
Want to neglect fruit/nut trees and get results-what species?
Hi, I'm in zone 7 semi-inland hills of northern California....
tropicallvr
How do you get accurate rainfall measurements?
Please share where I can go online to find rainfall...
rosiew
Need a drought resistant turf
I have a wedding meadow for my B&B in Black Forest...
BlackForestSusie
Sponsored Products
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Chatham Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Weathered
Home Depot
Wilson LED Flush Mount
Lightology
Marset | Scotch Club C Ceiling Light
$586.00 | YLighting
Remer by Nameeks 359BE Shower Head - REMER 359BE
$108.23 | Hayneedle
Cascade Ceiling Shade by Fire Farm
$252.90 | Lumens
Olive & Beige Southwest Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Stein World Klondike Accent Cabinet