When to prune young pawpaw tree?

soaht(Central CA 9B)January 27, 2013

Hi guys, I have a young 2 year old grafted paw paw tree and I want to know when should I prune it to encourage branching out? Right now it's only a single 3' tall twig that has just started showing signs of coming out of dormancy. If I do it should I top it in half above the graft line or I should just leave it alone to grow and will eventually branch out into the cone/triangular shape by it self? And when will it usually start bearing fruit from this grafted paw paw?

I'm aware that you need 2 for cross pollination of fruit bearing, but I have the cultivar "sunflower" that supposed to be self fertile. I know with another cultivar will be more productive, so I planned to graft another kind on to the one that I have now later to avoid having to plant another tree. Any help would greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Seng

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Seng,
"I should just leave it alone to grow and will eventually branch out into the cone/triangular shape by it self."That's your answer.From what I've read,they rarely need pruning.
"And when will it usually start bearing fruit from this grafted paw paw?"It usually takes 5-8 years to begin fruiting.
I also have a small Sunflower along with some other varieties that need to grow more. Brady

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:08PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Thanks Brady, I will just leave it alone and see what will happen then if I need to do some pruning for correction I will.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 1:50PM
chervil2(z5 MA)

For the younger years of my pawpaw trees I did not prune them at all. Now that they are established I top prune to so I can harvest the fruit more easily. Also, I have removed some branches that are crowded, weak, and could easily break with a heavy load of snow or high winds.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
Looking for American elderberry
I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for...
magg_ca
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™