Dry slope - need advice

auburn-nhSeptember 11, 2008

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I am hoping to hear from people who have planted white clover as a ground cover on slopes.

This slope I have is steep and can't be mowed.

It receives sun from late morning until mid afternoon, about 7 hours. It's got a mix of young and adult oak and pine trees, about two dozen trees, I'd say.

Can't build terraces because of the massive root systems those trees have and there are a lot of large rocks also.

Melting snow and spring showers help keep the slope moist through early June. After that, it stays on the dry side. Regular watering is not an option, I'm afraid.

In the past six years I've tried sedum, mint, thyme, ajuga, goldenrod, phlox, and other similar species. Of these plants, only the ones that grow towards the foot of the slope have managed to survive (though they haven't spread much at all).

Unfortunately, this slope is a very prominent (along our driveway) eyesore.

So, my question is: Will white clover grow in these conditions?

If so, when should I seed and how much seed should I use per sq ft?

Also, will I need to add anything to the soil, considering the established oak and pine trees?

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flatlander(z6KS)

I can't tell where you're from, but on the plains I'd recommend for you to try native plants....buffalo or bluegramma grass, or other native grasses. you probably have similar things in whatever area you are. My experience with clover is that it needs regular water to look decent.

Bookmark   December 29, 2008 at 8:43PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

The reason for the little success you've had is because what water the slope gets accumulates at the base, gravity at work. So, make several bases at intervals on the slope, i.e. terracing. This should increase your success rate.

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 10:53AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I live in southern Ontario, not exactly a drought-prone area, except in mid-summer. I found that planting on a slope is not impossible, but it is difficult to get plants established and growing. Any water one puts on them as young plants tends to immediately run off down the hill. However once they are established for a couple of years, they do fine without supplemental water. You may have better success starting a new planting in the fall, so the plants can get rooted well before the summer heat starts. Native plants are a good idea, either perennials or grasses or a combination of both.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
looking for some advice on getting a drought resistant front yard
hey all, i'm looking to do a drought resistant front...
sahmjay
Drought resistant tree
A drought tolerant garden doesn't have to be boring....
lgteacher
Drift Roses - Drought friendly?
Anyone here have any experience with Drift Roses? They...
txjoyce
How do you cut your water use?
As many of us are looking towards a drought that is...
merj13
Need a drought resistant turf
I have a wedding meadow for my B&B in Black Forest...
BlackForestSusie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™