best berries for the south ? louisiana

greenman62January 27, 2014

I live in New Orleans and am looking for raspberries or something similar to grow.

i know some have overwinter requirements, some years it never freezes here at all? ZONE 9b

i see a few people selling seeds for loganberry, Black Raspberry , Olallieberry
some at ebay, some at tradewindsfruit and other places
i thought the seeds go bad in days ?

i am looking mainly for taste, but productivity in a small space would help too.

any ideas ?

Anyone have cuttings to trade ?
i have lots of stuff, papaya, guava, malbar spinach seeds, also medicinals..., satsuma cuttings too

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gama_garden_tx(9)

The berries you mentioned are mostly for northern climates. You may be able to grow blueberries depending which part of LA you are in. Blackberries are great. Some other fruit to try would be kiwi, banana, and grapes (all do well in small space if trellised (bananas don't need trellis)

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lodewijkp

maybe something like goji berry, if you go for a black berry go for rubus fruticosa '' thornless evergreen'' its a very vigoriious thornless blackberry that is a very heavy cropper. Japanese wineberry has thorns, lower yield but it is the most ornamental one with the best taste.

some lemon grass species (cymbopogon citratus) are also hardy in your zone and provide good taste and reliable crop. maybe get perilla which is also a fast grower.

some opuntia species are thornless and have edible fruits and pads. amaranthus species that have edibles.

some other tropical/subtropical stuff would be Feijoa sellowiana, Eriobotrya japonica, Citrofortunella microcarpa, Persea americana, pomegranate etc.

All trees take a while to produce a worthwhile crop so i would go for bushes, cultivars and shrubs/ climbers like kiwis and blackberries, goji berries etc.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™