Conversion to Edible Landscape

charlieboringJanuary 28, 2013

This year I will enter the second year of my conversion of my landscape to edible plants. I am attaching my backyard organization. This spring I still need to plant the fuzzy kiwis and build one trellis. I also still need to build my raised bed for the ground cherries. I eventually will also add a bee hive, a water feature and a bird house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

Forgot the attachment.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 11:00AM
melikeeatplants

Some good stuff in there...good luck..

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:15AM
amanda_m(z7 MD)

I'd love to see some pictures when you have them. I am starting this year to move my front yard into an edible landscape (suburban Baltimore Co. Maryland).

I'm reading everything I can find about permaculture, native plants, no-mow yards, etc.

I like your plans, will you leave all the area within the walks as grass, or will it be sheet mulchec or in raised beds?

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 2:42PM
charlieboring

Amanda - I will post some pictures when the spring blooms are going well. The walk is made from 1 sq. ft. concrete paving stones (not a good choice) and grass grows between them. The green area is mostly grass, but I do have some wildflowers scattered about. I have a large number of spiderwarts and some other virginia wildflowers.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:24AM
charlieboring

I just completed two raised garden beds. i still have to plant one and I have already purchased two goji berry bushes for wach end and, since my ground cherries have not germinated well; I will plant artichokes in the middle with flower borders. Here are pictures before planting.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:05AM
charlieboring

Second bed.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:07AM
phlowerpower(5)

Thanks for sharing some pics. I love it!
Hope they do well.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 6:19PM
charlieboring

My ground cherries that I intended to plant in one of my raised gardens did not germinate, therefore I must substitute this year. I am considering planting six artichoke plants, surrounded on the edges by low flowers (maybe nastritium or vincas) that have germinated and are about 6 inches high. Here in N. VA the temps at night are still in the high 40s and low 50s. I understand that you want the nights to be 60 or higher before transplanting. When should I transplant the chokes? Since I am in zone 7 (almost 6) I am going to try to mulch them in the fall to keep them as perenials. Any thoughts?

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 7:26

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Ribes Aureum for Cincinnati, Ohio (zone 5)
Has anyone had success with Golden Currant in the Cincinnati,...
Paige Nugent
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™