Thevetia fruits edible or toxic?

tired_of_digging(z10)January 18, 2005

I have recently identified a plant growing near my home as Thevetia Peruviana. It belongs to the Apocinaceae family, well renowned for having plants which are among the most poisonous on Earth. However, I have found information about commercial growth of the plant for livestock feeding. Check these two:

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/ retrieve/4783/ja02030.pdf

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/dictionary/tico/t.html

The second website, mentions that the black pulp is said to be eaten in Ghana, while in another place I have read that a child has suffered from eating the fruit. Most toxicology reports I found so far refer to the plant parts, and to the seeds. I took into consideration that not all what is eaten by animals can be eaten by humans, and vice-versa. However, I did not encounter any article saying there are differences in toxic substances between the seed and the fruit pulp.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

I've only seen reports that the plant in general is toxic, like many others in the Apocyanaciae family -- I'd say, when in doubt, don't eat it.

Jim

Bookmark   February 8, 2005 at 11:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

A good reference to check is Cornucopia. I own one of those and don't recall seeing anything about it being edible. One member of the Dogbane family that IS edible is Natal Plum (Carissa), it's spiky and has fragrant flowers too. We see it alot in public landscaping as an ornamental here in SoCal. I've also seen an (Asian) recipe for salad made from Plumeria blossoms (the recipe called for boiling the flowers - too much work IMO).

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™