Are ollas worth it?

LullabyF360November 16, 2013

I live in North Louisiana. My summers are hot, humid, & I go months without a drop of rain. As soon as water hits the ground, it evaporates before roots get a chance to enjoy a drink. I read up on how to make your own ollas out of terra cotta pots. I would like to use these for my young trees. I have several trees, both fruiting & flowering. From what I have read, they all recommend an 8" pot to make the ollas with for a tree of at least 6'. Would I need to use a larger pot, considering how my summers are? That is, if ollas are worth spending money on to make.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

The theory of using ollas is sound, so you may just need to decide if it is worth it for you.

I saw a similar alternative with gallon jugs of milk or water (poke holes in the jug near bottom and situate it near a plant or buried up to the neck like ollas). Leave the lid on so the built-up pressure will let the water out slowly. You could try the milk jug option for a few plants to see if you see some differences in growth. Keep a few plants without the jug so you can make a comparison, though for trees, it might take a while to see some growth differences.

If you then like it, then I can see how a 5 gallon bucket or larger tub with a pvc pipe sticking out, can be utilized in a similar fashion in case you want a larger reservoir. Even cat litter buckets, if you know anyone with cats.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 11:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thunderbear48

For a few plants are OK, but when you have a long bed you'll want a more spaced system. I design what I call my PipeOlla. A 4" PVC pipe with a Horizontal Float valve in one end and Fiber Wicks at set intervals reaching out up to 24" long.

Once its installed, just turn on a water hose, 1/2 to a full turn and get 24/7 watering.

Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
People need a clue to the drought
Look the drought is man made weather modification....
tnangela
Saving Air Conditioner water ????
We are getting ready to move to a house that has a...
MelodyML
looking for some advice on getting a drought resistant front yard
hey all, i'm looking to do a drought resistant front...
sahmjay
55 gallon barrels
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get/buy...
momofkandh
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from Groundcover) Can anyone tell me...
rosemint
Sponsored Products
5-Pc. Motto for Perseverance Wall Decals
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Leaves Terra Cotta 9' 9" x 13' 9"
Home Depot
Airflex ™ Microfiber Mat
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Bakersfield Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$262.00 | Lumens
Pineapple Towel Hamper
$349.00 | FRONTGATE