Buds Dropping off Christmas Cactus

rebel215December 15, 2007

I recently bought two Christmas Cactuses (is that a word?) from the local High School. They are both loaded w/buds and have some flowers. Some of the buds are dropping off. What causes this and what should I do to prevent it? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

Water and heat this time of the year. There also could be other cuses but I doubt it. They are dormant. Norma

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 11:17PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry Norma, I must disagree. I doubt it's the heat & I KNOW it's not the water. It's likely moving it while the buds are still developing. If they're not open yet, they tend to drop if the plant is moved, particularly if its orientation to the light is changed.

From most of what I've read, while the buds are still developing, if one changes the plant's orientation to the light, the buds divert their energy to turning back towards the light & they tend to collapse at the neck of the bud & fall off.

I can't think of anything to suggest that will prevent this except don't move them anymore & try to keep them away from drafts or blasts of heat.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 12:31AM
dragonstone

I have to agree with pirate_girl. They tend to be really fussy when they get moved while they're budding. Last year, all I did was move a couple thanksgiving cacti from the laundry room to the dining room - and that was enough to make it lose a majority of the buds. That was frustrating. When it starts budding, you need to leave it alone and let it go through the whole process.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 1:32AM
rebel215

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave them where they are - they still have buds, so I might get more flowers. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 9:33PM
gaza(10 la CA)

yes i agree too!
if you move the pot,even slightly,the light angle changes and all buds will fall,if the buds are more advanced,they may continue to grow
gary

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
What is this? It says "Mammillaria species"
I know, "Mammillaria species" narrows it...
plantomaniac08
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™