Strwberry Transplanting

riccidFebruary 23, 2005

Last year I planted 6 strawberry plants and they spread out very well. Now I would like to transplant some of them to a bigger area. Can I just use the runners when they begin to grow? When would be the best time to do it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Usually they will transplant very well in spring, even before they start to go out of dormency. Examine all the crowns and if any are longer than about 2 inches, they are old plants and can be tossed. Strawberry plants life are maybe 3-4 years and when the main plant gets 'leggy' they dont produce well. I removed all of my plants last fall after them being in the same area for 3 years. I also took as many of the big runners as I could (all runners were rooted too). I removed the links between the runners and the main plants. All of these are now in some big trays with a lttle soil added for the overwintering, and are waiting for the spring to arrive. Once it does, I till the area first, add some bone meal and till again. Then I put down a heavy black fabric mulch that blocks out weeds. Cut small holes into it for each plant. They start to grow again in about early May here, and by June, I see many blossoms. The bone meal helps to increase blossoming. Because I also have a little problem later in the season (deformed berries) I add a trace amount of boron to the soil too. I use a fruit tree fertilizer that contains a small amount of boron for that. Your strawberry bed will expand over the years. I started out with 40 plants and now have well over a 100.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™