Loquat cultivars, nursery practices?

xentar_gwFebruary 25, 2010

I've noticed a few nurseries and ebay sellers are selling loquat trees that are grown from seed instead of layered, cuttings, or grafted trees. I've read that loquats don't come true to seed, yet these seedlings seem to sell for premium prices.

If they don't come true to seed, why are people selling them as these named cultivars? I recently bought a 'vista white', and it definitely seems like a seedling vs a rooted cutting and am kind of feeling ripped off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xentar_gw

I e-mailed one of the nurseries selling these seedlings as named cultivars, and their reply was that loquats do come true to type from seeds, despite other sources saying they don't. I don't understand why they aren't selling real, grafted or layered material instead.

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 9:07PM
fruithack

Try rollingrivernursery.com for true to type loquat. Seedlings grow very well but are'nt true to type and the fruits revert to huge pits.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 5:06PM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

I agree, I have noticed the same thing in looking for loquats as well. I would just keep googling and looking until you find a grafted variety. I did, and now have two of them but it took a lot of "digging" (no pun intended!). I look forward to tasting the fruit. One thing I ran across in my loquat research is that in general the white fleshed varieties do well along cooler California costal type areas while the darker orange flesh types do better in the hotter inland or hot gulf coast climate. I am in South Texas so I have planted Big Jim and Early Red.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 10:28PM
yc889_sbcglobal_net

I picked a few loquat (growing wild, but of good quality)from a park and planted the seeds. 5 years later the tree produced fruits that were as good as the parents. It's just my experience, but I guess if the tree is self fruitful and if it's not a hybrid, then why should the seed not produce the same plant as the parent?

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™