A collection of doubles (photos)

celeste(zone 4 NH)March 8, 2013

I notice that the doubles aren't as popular and that some folks love them while others don't care for them. I have a small collection of them and enjoy them and although I do prefer the single form daylilies, I think they add a new dimension to my gardens. Here's some pictures from last summer that I neglected to post.

Celeste

'KING KAHUNA' (my favorite... it is HUGE, 7" across and lights up the garden)

DELTA'S DREAM

'GLORIOUS AUTUMN'

MADGE CAYSE

STELLAR DOUBLE ROSE

SCATTERBRAIN

ZADA MAE

LAND OF COTTON

SILOAM GLORY BEE

SILOAM PEONY DISPLAY

HOLIDAY PARTY

JERRY PATE WILLIAMS

NIGHT EMBERS

APRICOT CREAM TRUFFLE

MOSES' FIRE

PEACH MAGNOLIA

NOID

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

A very pretty collection, Celeste. I don't think I have any doubles, although I am sure I will eventually break down and add a couple..for variety, as you said.

I especially liked Scatterbrain and Holiday Party.

Too bad you couldn't just teleport down here. You could give me moral support while the seemingly unending clean up continues.
It has been a beautiful day, and I spent 5 1/2 hours weeding, and mulching plus planting a few pansy clumps I got for $1 each at Lowes. Gotta have somewhere to hide Easter Eggs for the grandkids.
kay

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 3:43PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

wow, Celeste.They are all just so pretty.I especiaslly like the first two and the last one the best and that purple one, night Embers? I think it was.Thank you for posting these beauties, i have 2 or 3 is all I have.and at the minute, cant think of THEIR names.

jean

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 12:38AM
Maryl zone 7a

There are two forms of doubles: Hose in Hose and Peony shaped. I'm partial to Peony shaped myself (as one detractor described them, "those daylilies with a waddd up kleenex in the middle"-lol). You have an excellent selection and even though Zada Mae looks to be a hose in hose to me, I am in love with that warm creamy yellow. Holiday Party is a real pretty one in person(Earlybird sells it) and your picture does justice to it. I've grown Madge Cayse and it was one of the latest bloomers I had. Another nice one. I like Siloam Glory Be too. Actually, they are all pretty. Thanks for sharing them with us.........Maryl

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:48AM
marricgardens

I have just started to get a few doubles. I see we both like Peach Magnolia. Madge Cayse is very nice, I love the color. Others I like are Night Embers and Glorious Autumn. The best one, IMHO, is King Kahuna! Thanks for posting. Marg

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:27PM
marricgardens

OOPS! I forgot to mention that the yellow NOID is very cute! Marg

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:34PM
lesmc

King Kahuna...WOW! I would love to have that beauty in my garden. Maybe it will be on Auction. Thanks for sharing! Lesley

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 5:48PM
Julia NY(6)

I'm sold on doubles too. I started adding them 2 years ago. Could use a few more :-). Nice photos.

Julia

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 7:16PM
lynxe

Well, that was wonderful!

I have doubles, not many, but I don't have any of the ones you showed. I can see myself getting KING KAHUNA. Also interested to see that GLORIOUS AUTUMN thrives for you - I've always wanted that one. As for the rest, I could be happy with any of them.

My very favorite double continues to be Apps's MERINGUE MIRAGE however. It's one of those daylilies that I will always always have in my garden.

Oh, and I do love those Kropfs!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:57PM
pdsavage(5/6)

I love doubles,I only have one Affair D'Amour.
But I do have lots of double cross seeds(planting this spring) and seedlings.

Thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:14PM
flowergirl929(5)

I love them but don't have very many. It seems I keep buying them but some don't do all that well. Condilla always doubles and is very nice

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:55PM
lisa_3(5)

While it is not a fast spreader, I have grown very attached to Tropic Embers-it has had three sets of blooms for the last two years!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:07PM
flowergirl929(5)

Wow I have never seen Tropic Embers before. It is beautiful and now I must run along and see if I can buy it! thanks alot LOL

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Just heard from Jean
Changing from the old Gardenweb to Houzz and the signing...
organic_kitten
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
NOIDS! The last alphabet post!
This has been fun! Now alot of us have to wait for...
sherrygirl zone5
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™