edible plant in zone 5

cortneycas(5)March 28, 2005

I have recently moved to the chicago area and have bought a house that is perfect for gardening and landscaping. I love working in my yard and would like to use mostly edible plants in my yard. I feel I should enjoy the fruits of my labor (literaly) I know of some blue berry and cranberry bushes that I'm useing for ground cover and I want to plant a stella cherry tree. What other fruit bearing plants should I consider in this climate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chervil2(z5 MA)

You may want to consider for you zone 5 yard Paw Paws, American persimmon, quince, grapes, kiwi vines, peaches, mulberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Have Fun!

Chervil2

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 7:49PM
angel_z5

Definitely consider serviceberry/juneberry clump bushes. They have very sweet berries in June, and look nice as well. They are covered with small white flowers which turn into sweet berries. There are many different cultivars. Visit your local nurseries and pick your favorite. They produce prolificly every year.

Always an. . .Angel

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 7:52PM
RexAnne(z5 Chicago)

cortneycas,
Sounds like you and I have the same idea about our yards.

You might try looking into the Midwest Fruit Explorers, it is a non-profit organization of amateur backyard fruit growing enthusiasts. Most of the members live in the counties surrounding Chicago.

I was able to go to their annual show last fall and talk to some helpful people. We tasted some pawpaw and other stuff, it was a fun outing.

I have service berries in the front yard. They are okay but rather seedy. I use strawberries as groundcover. Did you know daylilies and hosta are edible? I believe hosta is used in oriental cooking.

Are you interested in just fruit trees/bushes or other perennials, annuals or vegetables?

RexAnne

Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest Fruit Explorers

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 2:54PM
RexAnne(z5 Chicago)

cortneycas
so how did it go? what did you deside to put in?

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™