Is Malva sylvestris edible?

aubadeMarch 24, 2009

Hi All

I'm trying to add edible perennial flowers to my potager this year. I've got the typical nasturtiums, signet marigolds, calendula, etc, but am also looking to plant common mallow. Problem is, I've read on some sites it is edible and some sites that it is poisonous. Specifically, Malva sylvestris 'Mystic Merlin' .

Here it is listed on the FDA poisonous plants list: http://www.herbvideos.com/Poisos.htm

Here it is listed as edible: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Malva+sylvestris (except when grown on nitrogen rich soils)

Does anyone know definitively, is it edible or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
listenstohorses(6 & 8)

I have seed of Malva "Zebrina". I have no idea about it though other than it looks pretty on the package and I have not yet gotten any to survive the hazards here.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 2:45PM
susan_giventoeat

I'm not sure. I looked it up and it is a pretty plant. Just in case you don't already know: our locally hardy hollyhocks have a similar look and are supposed to be edible, and the hardy hibiscus, too, I think. One of my favorite edibles that was growing wild in our yard is the purple poppy mallow, not a Malva, and low-growing, with nutty tasting root & tasty leaves & pretty flower.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 12:23AM
listenstohorses(6 & 8)

I am looking up purple poppy mallow now. Just what little you said about it, made it appealing to me.

I have several "projects areas" and am allways looking for edibles that are pretty. Sometimes I will buy just pretty at a weak moment.

I do try to plant things that will grow back with little to no help. Today in the mail I got some evergreen onions. I have a large patch of walking onions already so I should have onions for life.

What I do in zone 8 will eventually be moved away from. The house in zone 6 will be for our retirement in just a few years. After all my foals are born I will head north to start growing.

I have some artichokes from seed in pots here that are a couple of months old. I plan to plant some at both places and hope for the best.

I also have some asparagus from seed up. I know it will be simpler to just buy crowns when I get ready but it is fun to play around.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 7:20PM
arshwood_gmail_com

Malva sulvestris grows in our area in three forms .a)erect big leaf variety b) prostrate with medium size leaf and c) prostrate small leaf variety. a and b varieties are cultivated and are useful vegetables. Malva and sorrel is the spring season vegetable combination . No health hazzards have been reported till todate.
ARW

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 1:35AM
More Discussions
North star cherry tree size
I can't find any consistent info on this. Everyone...
shine0216
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™