WANTED: Sweet gum balls

diene(Z4ME)March 30, 2003

Anyone know of a use for the "gum balls" that the Sweet Gum tree drops? My brother has way too many of them and rakes them up and throws them out. Seems like a waste. Any suggestions, let me know. Kathleen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardninlady

I have seen folks spray paint them gold and then put little beads in them. They were little Christmas Tree Ornaments.

Other than that, I do not know what else to do with them. In a compost pile they take a long time to decompose too. I have a sweetgum tree in the backyard, and those deals are painful to step on for sure!

Bookmark   March 30, 2003 at 7:51PM
weebus(Z8 Sunset 5 WA)

You could throw them at the kids who run across your lawn.

Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 12:14AM
LibbyLiz

If you have problems with animals digging in your gardens and/or potted plants, put these spikey pods on top the soil/potting mix to deter the little buggers.

Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 8:59AM
shadowgarden(z5OH)

I have used them with pinecones etc in grapevine wreaths just tied them tied them on with a little wire

Bookmark   April 2, 2003 at 7:25PM
efine50(z7aNC)

My fiance puts them in the chipper and uses it for mulch!

Bookmark   April 9, 2003 at 9:22AM
CindyBelleZ6NJ(z6NJ)

Some gardeners use them to help fill up large containers-maybe a third up-if they are going to be planting more shallow rooted plants-

Bookmark   January 31, 2004 at 9:49AM
oldherb(z8 Oregon)

You can string them together for swags to add to Christmas decor...I like using organic things for ornaments. I use our fir cones from the Douglas firs here that way too. You could use them to cover a picture frame or in mixed wreaths.

I would hang them to spray paint them and use 2 colors for added depth or you could dip them in a color wash of acrylic paint. That way they are just stained and don't loose their organic appeal.

You could also dust them with that refined glitter that would make them look frosted.

Bookmark   March 6, 2004 at 5:45PM
farmsteward(North Carolina 7)

Circle them around plants as a slug deterrent.

Bookmark   June 10, 2004 at 11:30AM
redhotflowermama

You could paint them white and make snowmen out of them. But do like the idea of throwing them at children running across your garden.

Bookmark   July 23, 2004 at 8:07AM
raeolyte(9B FL)

I wish I lived somewhere where we could grow those trees. I am originally from up north, now a FL transplant. The first time I saw the balls, I was in GA. I was sooo fascinated with them, and I managed to fill a few shopping bags with the ones laying on the ground. Now, I have no idea what happened to them. They are great for crafting. Of course, I see everything from a crafting or gardening standpoint, which for some reason drives my hubby crazy... don't know why...
Hope you got a giggle.

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 12:27PM
beetleman(5 st louis)

THEY DO WORK WELL FOR MULCH IF CONTAINED BY A BORDER- SAW THEM USED AROUND NUT TREES AND NOW I COLLECT THEM FOR MY BERRIES

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 9:59AM
jeraperthro(7a NC)

I'm considering trying to use them to keep soil loose and aerated, since they have so many little ridges and pockets, and take a long time to compost. I am going to try growing some White Sage here in Greensboro,NC, and the plant is native to more dry, rocky, well-drained Southwestern soil. So I was thinking, perhaps this annoying overabundance of Sweetgum balls might come in handy, simulating the rocky, choppy texture of the required soil, as well as keeping it aerated for drainage. It's worth a try anyway. They're free and all over my yard.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 5:47PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

But,if you mix them or spread them into your soil.... won't you have little volunteer sweet gums all over?
Just wondering????

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 7:27AM
jeraperthro(7a NC)

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. Hm, well I wonder if maybe they've lost their seeds, or won't push up (they're at the bottom of the dirt)

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 11:06AM
putter4ever(6)

Be warned, not all "pests" are deterred by the thought of stepping on them. Case in point, I raked mine into a pile to be disposed of and was not able finish the job, so later in the week when time permitted, garbage bag in hand off I went.. imagine my surprise when I found that my neighbor's filthy swine felines had used my pile for a latrine.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 1:40AM
hankski

Don't know much about pelletized fuel, but they look like they could burn pretty well when dry?

Don't try this at home without an expert opinion (smile).

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 5:04PM
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

You can 1 in someones shoe, just for laughs.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 11:06PM
alabamakatg_gmail_com

I made a very beautiful Christmas wreath with them. You can get the site on how to do that from Martha Stewart. We have never seen so many of these balls on the ground at our place than this year. It is unreal. I keep wanting to pick them up after making that wreath, but there are millions!!!! The wreath is very pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the link to the site.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 8:17AM
jilote

If you have ever walked barefoot in a yard full of gum balls you will know why many people dislike them.

Will plop myself down next to the raked pile and sort them out for crafting and anti-slug use. Will look nice with the Magnoia pods that falin a wreath.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 11:33PM
VeVe7(8a/)

I have 12 sweet gum trees in my yard!!!! I will sell the balls for the right price. What is the going rate for gum balls?

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:14AM
ouiglz

I realize this is a very old topic thread, but I found out that slugs DO NOT like crawling over the sweetgum balls spiny surface, so they will keep them away from your plants and flowers

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 1:52PM
Doglips(8b/9a)

You could step on them barefoot and scream in pain.

Want nothing the do with them.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Fresh bay leaves
Dear gardening friends , I am looking for somebody...
KatyaKatya
WANTED: Burmese okra
I'd like to give Burmese okra shot in my garden next...
larryw
WANTED: looking for help
I am fairly new to gardening, and recently disabled....
kmad2010
wanted:lily and tulip bulbs
Hello. Looking for asiatic lilies and red or purple...
ericmd01
WANTED: Plantain Shoot
Anyone have or know of someone who may be growing plantains...
leroy559
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™