Currants, serviceberries and other berries for Texas?

crickettooMarch 9, 2013

I've recently become interested in incorporating more edible landscaping into my yard. Do any of you know if Red or black currants, serviceberries, or gooseberries will grow in North Texas? i cannot find any information about them locally. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelsoncastro

Gooseberries grow best in summer humid, cool regions with great winter chilling, it does like morning sun, afternoon part-shade and buoyant air circulation. They are most productive in full sunlight but the leaves sunburn easily under California conditions. They can be grown in the high shade of fruit trees such as persimmon or on the north side of buildings. American gooseberry are much more sun tolerant. Plants collapse quickly when soil or air temperature exceeds 85ð F.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:08AM
gama_garden_tx(9)

I've never seen those in North Texas. If you are looking for edible bushes, try dewberries, thornless blackberies, and trellising grapes.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:50PM
merrybookwyrm

Like the first poster said, blackberries and dewberries. If your soil is acid, you could plant blueberries.

Not berries, but if your soil is sandy, you might be able to naturalize some of the native sand plums. The tree/bushes aren't real big, although they will clump from what I've seen by the roadside. Have fig, jujube, and pomegranate in the backyard, and yaupon holly (for pretty and for tea) and althea (for pretty although it can be for tea) in the front. Some of this you can get away with not watering... much... and some of this you will have to Water in the summer. Keep us posted. :-)

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™