Prinsepia sinensis - what the heck is it?

laylaa(7b)March 27, 2009

I saw Prinsepia sinensis on the One Green World catalog and don't know this plant at all, can't find a lot on it. Does anyone grow it? I can not find any indication that it is invasive, which is important to me, or any solid info on what ph it likes. I'm interested in the Prinsepia for birds. It's not often I do non-natives but this one looks really interesting.

of course I was on the site ordering goumi, a great non-native bird plant. :D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mudflapper

I planted one last year and to my surprise saw flower buds yesterday, I got mine from One Green World and just put it in the ground and it seems to be doing fine so far, I also couldn't find any real info about this plant so time will tell.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 12:56AM
laylaa(7b)

I ordered one as well, so I guess we'll just both have to come back in a couple of years and let everyone know. It looked pretty interesting, I very rarely impulse buy plants.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 7:34PM
denninmi(8a)

I ordered one from One Green World last spring as well. I'll say one thing about it, it's the most precocious shrub I've ever seen here in my zone. Right now, when the grass is barely beginning to green, pussy willows and crocus are the only things in bloom, and daffodils are only poking about 2 to 3 inches above the ground, this dumb thing is leafing out quite noticeably. This is about 2 to 3 weeks earlier than anything else leafs out (the earliest thing I've found before this is Tartarian honeysuckle). I hope that we don't have a late artic snap that freezes it back, but I suspect it's a tough plant that would bounce back from it if it did happen.

Dennis
SE Michigan

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 10:02PM
laylaa(7b)

Dennis - loved your description. You'll have to let us know if it flowers and berries, please!

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 5:15PM
ktsmom(6b)

A quick Google search yielded this info:
http://www.virtualplanttags.com/vpt.asp?pID=31869&co=410087&cID=671&pr=1

Fruit:
Color: Red, Orange, Purple
Season(s): Late Summer, Early Fall
[Michael) Dirr says: "Red, cherry-like, 1/2" long drupe that ripens in July, August and September and is effectively digested by birds. Color is actually more orange to purple than red. Supposedly edible, contains large amounts of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Less sugar than most cultivated fruit plants."

And this one:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Prinsepia+sinensis

Edible Uses
Fruit - raw or cooked. Red and juicy. A pleasant sour taste, they can be eaten out of hand or made into jellies. The plum-shaped fruit is about 15mm long with one large seed.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 8:06PM
clarkinks(5b)

How are they doing now? Was wanting to get an idea the taste of the fruit and amount of fruit your getting after a few years?

Bookmark   December 5, 2014 at 4:10AM
More Discussions
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Ribes Aureum for Cincinnati, Ohio (zone 5)
Has anyone had success with Golden Currant in the Cincinnati,...
Paige Nugent
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
Sponsored Products
Kingwood Corner Cabinet
Home Decorators Collection
Eglomise Nesting Side Tables - SILVER
$2,299.00 | Horchow
Justice Design Group WGL-8818 - Pendants 3 Light Cluster Pendant - Cylinder with
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV14SLV Landscape Lighting Spot
$54.56 | Home Depot
Rainforest Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Artcraft Lighting Orion Crystal Two-Light Mini-Pendant
$194.00 | LuxeDecor
Justice Design Group GLA-8911 - Capellini 1 Light Wall Sconce - Bowl with Ripple
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Rubbermaid Storage & Organizers 19.5 in. L x 17.5 in. W x 11.6 in. H Small
$12.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™