I bought 'vine peaches' seeds

carress(z6 NY)March 6, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm a novice gardener who goes at it like a veteran. I've never heard of these, and I am hoping they'll be a close second to having my own peach tree.

I also bought strawberry seeds.. My father told me the rabbits will get them before they even ripen...

I'm thinking of growing them both right in fornt of my house which has a big planter(?) type thing made of stone. I figure the proximity may intimidate the rabbits.. I could also cover the strawberries with a mesh, I think.

Any hints, warnings, tips??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

caress,
The 'vine peach' is a small melon, in the same group with the cantaloupe(Cucumis melo). While I *guess* they're edible, they've been grown for hundreds of years mainly for their aroma - used in olden times to cover/mask body odor when bathing was not a regularly-performed ritual - ladies often carried them in their pockets to mask their own scent.
I doubt that the fruits(melons) will taste like a peach, though they may resemble one in size and coloration.

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 11:16AM
breezyb(z6/7VA)

I agree. I assume you bought these "vine peaches" from a less than reputable nursery. To check them out, do go to this site: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/ to check them out.

If you are even remotely serious about growing edible landscaping plants, your best bet is really going to be some RESEARCH - either by gardening books or good websites.

Don't take a chance of either poisoning yourself or wasting a lot of time & effort on plants that aren't going to end up what you expect them to be.

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 12:58PM
jkirk3279(Z5 SW MI)

No, they're supposed to taste more like Mangos than Peaches.

And yes, they're edible.

Your note of caution is well advised, however. My research last year turned up the interesting factoid that there are varieties of bush referred to as "wintergreen" that are in fact poisonous.

Only Gaultheria Procumbens is true Wintergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vine Peach

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 12:54AM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Yes the rabbits birds etc. will love your strawberries cover them with "mesh" as you say and cover them with the mesh slightly off the ground or the birds will peck through the mexh (get through the holes).... :)

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 9:34PM
carress(z6 NY)

I'm thinking if I stick a bunch of sticks in the ground, around and within the bed... maybe I can find something plastic shaped like a lowercase t so it can support the mesh... I'm formulating a plan.

thanks for the tips folks.

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 4:55PM
irishtempr_roadrunner_com

I make a hoop house (tiny one) over my raised beds, to start stuff early. You can remove the plastic and use mesh or door screen (by the roll) to cover for the rest of the year. I have raised beds, so is easy to attach the poles on. Or you can use the plastic lattice sprips, and they bend over to creat a hoop and stay bent all season. Clear plastic tarps (like as a dollar store, sold by the 50' roll) If you see it, you can make it..!

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Sponsored Products
Hatteras Medium Wall Lantern
$138.60 | Bellacor
New HQ Wool Knotted By Hand Super Kazak Deep Sky Blue 2'x6' Geometric Rug H5880
BH Sun Inc
Cabin Fever Upholstery in Santa Fe
$36.00 | FabricSeen
Abigail Natural Burlap Novelty 18-inch Decorative Pillow
Overstock.com
Leaves and Seeds Pendant by Arteriors
$1,320.00 | Lumens