Memory Garden

misobentoMarch 19, 2012

I am slowly creating a memory garden. My Grandmother had an 150 year old farm in the middle of Wisconsin, she loved gardening and many of my fondest childhood memories are of her house and gardens. In 2003 the house burned down, my Grandma was lucky to escape, but this tragedy changed her for ever. Sadly, we lost her two years ago in April. The gardens and surrounding lands of her farm are over grown and returning to nature (it's been almost 10 years since anyone obviously lived there). If any of you remember the PBS miniseries "Secret Garden" from the late '80 it looks a bit like that...so decayed and overgrown that you cannot possibly think anything is still living amounst the ramble.

Each spring I go with a small shovel and see what I can find, dig it up, and bring it home to plant in my own garden in memory of my Grandmother. This past weekend I found some Snowdrops, Siberian Squill, a small Yew, some Lillies and a perfect Weeping Forsythia branch. Last year I planted poppies, gooseberries and red currants as well (all purchased) because she alaways had these growing as well.

Every spring when the plants comes back, I smile because it reminds me of my lovely Grandma.

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J(z7bc)

What a wonderful way to remember her, thru the life of plants!!! I have such fond memories of my childhood home's double lilac, I really should put that on my "Gotta Have List"

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 11:07AM
Chris_in_the_Valley(z7 MD)

How absolutely lovely! I regret to say that Mom's once glorious garden has gone wild with her aging and no one else has a clue about how to take care of it. I barely made a dent last year, but will prioritize better this. I want the fun of dividing up crowded plants and moving them to newly created beds when I should first be digging out grapevines and volunteer trees.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 3:04PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

How wonderful. You will have a treasure of a garden and I can't imagine that anything could make your Grandmother happier if she were still with you. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427 (zone 7)
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
HAVE: Weeping Willow & Tortured Willow Cuttings
I am rooting Weeping Willow (Salix babylonica) cuttings. I...
sweetannie4u
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™