WANTED: Wanted Heat Mat with Thermostat

Shorty_CA(10B CA)April 26, 2014

Need Seed germination kit or specifically a heat mat with thermostat. 2 FT lighting would be great option.

Willing to trade for plants of your choosing or gift certificate to your favorite online nursery.

Will pay for postage.

This post was edited by Shorty_CA on Thu, May 8, 14 at 3:12

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emerogork2(5)

If it helps, I made one with a heating pad set on low. At first I thought it would cook the plants but I placed a thermometer under the humidity dome and it regulated quite well.

I place the mat under a tray of water with a few risers (1/2" x 1/2" x 8" blocks) and the tray of seedlings sitting in/near the water and placed the clear dome over that.

I never has such success with seedlings before.

If you are more industrious, you could use a variac to regulate the heat but most people don't even know what a variac is let alone having one. (-:

You can build your own with a double gang wall switch box, a dimmer, and a switch/outlet receptacle.

None of these ideas have a thermostat but as I said, my heating pad regulated quite well

Bookmark   September 15, 2014 at 3:11PM
Shorty_CA(10B CA)

Thanks so much for the tip. I will try your suggestion.

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 1:01AM
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

Also...old waterbed heating mats work great, and they do have a thermostat...ask your friends and family..they might have one kicking around!

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 7:26PM
charlieboring

A DIY root warmer can be made with a frame made from 1" X 4" boards cut to the desired size to make a rectangle the size of an old metal cookie sheet. Screw the frame together; mount a light socket in each end for a 15 watt bulb; screw on the old cookie sheet. Set plants on top. If it is too hot, place a pencil under the plants to allow air circulation.

Bookmark   January 30, 2015 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
ISO White Rose of Sharon with red center
I am trying to find a Rose of Sharon I used to have....
wyldeflwr
wanted: have questions :)
Hello, I'm still waiting on a member's address to send...
KatsPlants
WANTED: Cattle or pig panels for greenhouse
Live in Northern NV. Need to build a better greenhouse...
Debbie35
WANTED: Fresh bay leaves
Dear gardening friends , I am looking for somebody...
KatyaKatya
Needed: Plantain (Plantano) Sucker
Looking for a plantain sucker (suckling plant). Any...
leroy559
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™