New gardener needs help landscaping blueberries and cherry bush

xenacrocker(7)March 6, 2008

Hi,

I'm new here and very new to gardening. I need some help! Our small backyard backs to parkland. We have a big brush pile right on our property line that I would like to obscure with an edible landscaping. I ordered the plants that my husband and I talked about but now I'm not sure how to plant them in a way that would look nice!

On the lefthand side I have some forsythia that cardinals and other birds love. We're contemplating getting rid of them. From the Forsythia to the end of our property I have around 42 feet. I ordered 4 blueberry bushes (2 years old and patriot, blueray and jersey varieties), 3 Hansens Bush pie cherry tree and 1 red gooseberry (the latter is for my daughter b/c in the story of snow white she makes gooseberry pies for the dwarves). How would you arrange them? What would you add?

thanks,

andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trilliumgreen(7 PNW)

I'm having a hard time visualizing how they should be laid out. Something that comes to mind though, is that the blueberries are going to need acidic soil, so you will want to keep them together and not inter planted in amongst the rest.

It might help to see the space (my camera is broken - so I know that pics are always easy to share). A question thought, why are you thinking about getting rid of the forsythia (I am biased, since I enjoy watching birds and miss cardinals)?

Sorry not to be more help.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™