root cutting question

oklahawg(NE OK z6-7)March 22, 2005

I can't quite find the answer I want in the FAQ (probably due to my own inability to search properly!). Anyway, here is the deal:

My seaberry have produced quite a few new "plants" growing up several inches to a foot away the main plant. I would like to try to transplant these new offshoots to a new bed area. What is the process for separating these offshoots from the main root/plant? Will it be like a bare-root plant from a mail-order nursery, growing nicely with a bit TLC? Or, will it need special treatment?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkz5ia

I haven't directly dealt with seaberry , but I have moved other types with root sprouts coming up. The root sprouts tend not to have much of a root system, but will be fine if transplanted during dormant season and given care during the growing season. As far as Oklahoma is concerned, that probably includes watering during the season.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 3:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigeasyjock(z8Ms)

Ditto on no exper. with sea holly but with runners its best to take a shovel and cut straight down between the parent or completely circle around the runner to severe the roots between the parent and runner. Then leave the runner in the ground for a growing season before digging it up. This allows time for the runner to grow roots of its own. If cut now you should be able to move in the fall.
Mike

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
North star cherry tree size
I can't find any consistent info on this. Everyone...
shine0216
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™