root cutting question

oklahawg(NE OK z6-7)March 22, 2005

I can't quite find the answer I want in the FAQ (probably due to my own inability to search properly!). Anyway, here is the deal:

My seaberry have produced quite a few new "plants" growing up several inches to a foot away the main plant. I would like to try to transplant these new offshoots to a new bed area. What is the process for separating these offshoots from the main root/plant? Will it be like a bare-root plant from a mail-order nursery, growing nicely with a bit TLC? Or, will it need special treatment?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkz5ia

I haven't directly dealt with seaberry , but I have moved other types with root sprouts coming up. The root sprouts tend not to have much of a root system, but will be fine if transplanted during dormant season and given care during the growing season. As far as Oklahoma is concerned, that probably includes watering during the season.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 3:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigeasyjock(z8Ms)

Ditto on no exper. with sea holly but with runners its best to take a shovel and cut straight down between the parent or completely circle around the runner to severe the roots between the parent and runner. Then leave the runner in the ground for a growing season before digging it up. This allows time for the runner to grow roots of its own. If cut now you should be able to move in the fall.
Mike

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
Sponsored Products
36" Tullford Vanity for Semi-Recessed Sink - Cherry
Signature Hardware
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd Dresser - 06050-93
Great Furniture Deal
Nourison Area Rug: In Bloom Chocolate 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Red 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Crystal Laurel Gold Six-Light Pendant in Antiqued Warm Gold Leaf Finish with Sty
Bellacor
Bath Authority DreamLine Unidoor Frameless Adjustable Shower Door with Glass She
Modern Bathroom
Filigree Pendant Chandelier
Lightology
Tom Dixon | Cog Desk Tidy
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™