Acca Sellowians Pineapple Guava - Excessive leaf drop

shine_njApril 28, 2009

I planted two of these 3.5ft tall Pineapple Guava shrub 2 days ago, one on SE side and one on the E (backyard) about 10 ft apart. Both gets more than 8 hours of sunlight per day. However, one of them starts dropping leaves excessively. Now almost 100 in 2 days! The weather had been abnormally cold (40F)then abnormally warm (90F) in the past week. Also the area used to be a lawn so I put some natural sulphur before planting. Is the leaf drop a stress signal or because my soil is clayish at the bottom of the root ball? I used organic matter for the hole, watered adquately but no fertilizer after planting. It is a torture to count the fallen leaves every hour. I hope I'm not losing it because it's such a beautiful shrub! Any help is great appreciately.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Here in Texas because of the gumbo soil we have to make sure we also dig a drain line into the soil away from the plant so that the water has a place to go besides the plant. This is filled also with the amended soil Because the soil around the plant will hold all the water if you don't create a way for the water to run off it just stays around the roots of the plant. Of course this is a guess as I am unable to check the soil, but this would be my guess.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 5:58AM
More Discussions
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™