Four years of Picea abies 'Pusch'

firefightergardener(7/8)May 8, 2012

A little gem for any garden, this Norway spruce small dwarf grows a few inches a year, mostly laterally but it's main attraction are the wonderfully numerous bright red miniature cones it produces each year. These cones often remain on the plant for a year plus and contrast very well with the new foliage. Here you get a good idea of four years of growth.

2012(early May)

The summary: It gets better and better every year. Destined to be a star of your own garden, why haven't you planted one yet? :)

-Will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dansgrdn

Beautiful specimen Will! It really took an impressive jump in maturity between '09 and '10. In 2012 its one of the nicest ones I've seen. Fun to see the maturation of this beauty. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Dan

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 2:00AM
Garen Rees(6a)

ha ha, "why haven't you planted this one yet?" Your right, I'm kicking myself for not getting this one with my spring orders after seeing yours. It looks like it could almost be a ground cover. I would love to have this slowly spreading down the side of a slope. Your 'Pusch' looks perfect.

How long do the cones keep their red color?

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 9:00AM
ricksample(6)

Looks great! I planted one this spring that's about 6" x 12", cant wait to watch it grow over the years!

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 11:40AM
alley_cat_gw

Will, That is so cool that you have those annual progress photos and show them on one thread like that. Way enjoyable!

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 9:44AM
jaro_in_montreal

"why haven't you planted one yet?" -- because I planted three :O)

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 10:12AM
glo2001

Your Pusch looks awesome! I just got one last week and haven't planted it yet. Wondering what snow weight would do to it? Can someone help me out with that? This one is very special to me. Is zone 4b okay?
Thanks for showing the 4 years!

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Araucaria seed search
Hi, Does anyone happen to know where I can find seeds...
Mike726
Pinus Nigra hardiness
We had a brutal temp swing in November after a very...
treebarb Z5 Denver
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my plant
bluethuja
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™