putting blended fruit on garden

untiedknotApril 25, 2009

I just started my first outdoor garden. My roommate has a juicing machine and is constantly juicing fruits and veggies like carrots, pineapples, oranges, apples. She has a lot of leftover chewed up matter that I was thinking would be good to spread over my garden. I am a little concerned that the mix of these will be too acidic for my garden. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mintgum(5)

I'm not a compost expert, but since no one has replied yet I'll offer my thoughts. I think it would be fine. It usually takes quite a lot of amendments to noticeably change the PH. I've been working for years to get my blueberry patch down to what it needs to be.

You could always start a compost pile and let it break down first. I think it has something to do with decomposing matter taking up nitrogen during the decomposition process. It leaves less for plants during the process and then releases it when its fully composted. That's my weak understanding of it anyway.

Overall nicely pureed organic matter definitely deserves a place in the garden. I'd go for it anyway.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 4:09PM
mudflapper

I would start a compost pile, either build a compost bin or buy one and during hot weather make sure to water it so it wont dry out.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 12:32AM
wally_1936(8b)

Moist food produces can bring knats to the area very quickly. So I would make sure it was a good way away from the house.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 6:04AM
More Discussions
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™